Do you think this bone is safe? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Do you think this bone is safe?

I purchased two of these bones and I didn't even bother asking around to see if they are safe.

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/mabobyredba.html

The members on the Pit Bull forum I belong to said any bone that is smoked or cooked can shard in the dog's stomach. I have no problem returning them I just want to hear what dog owners on here think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think it would be fine as long as the dogs were supervised . I don't think most dogs would be able to break pieces off.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Denise, I got one of those bones for Mirra in September and we still have about 1/3 of it left! Keep in mind that Mirra chews on it daily and now Sydnee chews on it every day too. I have never seen any big or sharp pieces broken off from it and we keep a close eye on them whenever they have a bone or any rawhide. I had gotten one from Scarlette about 2 years ago and there's still a chunk of it left over. She doesn't chew as much as the other 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Denise, we bought one of these for Kirby and there is STILL a huge portion of it left. Kirby chewed off all the "good" smoked bits and left the rest of the bone to Seamus, who, you can imagine, doesn't inflict much damage on the bone.

But when Kirby would gnaw at it, I never saw any small, sharp piece come off. I think because the bone is so large, it's harder for them to crush it and cause it to shatter. Even our friend's Landseer Newfoundland couldn't cause it to splinter. She did manage to break off one large piece of it, though.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate all your feedback. I swear I get so paranoid when I read some of the things on the PB forum I belong to! I asked about choo hooves (dried cow hooves) and quite a few people said they are very sharp and one breeder has a best friend whose dog required $3,000 worth of intestinal surgery to remove the shards of choo hooves that were impacted! Hearing that, I would never consider buying choo hooves. The majority of owners on that forum will not give their dogs rawhide because it is made with chemicals and also has been known to cause blockage.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Well, the ONLY bad thing I've experienced with this type of bone is that in Finland, the outside has some sort of smoky basting on it. Well, Kirby chewed off all that in one night and so for the next two days had some runny poo from it.

But other than Kirby getting the runs from being a glutton, I haven't had any bad experiences with that type of bone.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I will never give my dogs cow hooves to chew because Scarlette almost choked to death on one. Thank goodness I was able to pull it out of her throat in time!

I'm not a huge fan of pig ears either. The dogs just rip them apart and try to swallow the big pieces.

Rhonda

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I'm not sure about bones, but I won't ever give anything raw-hide. Penny chocked on it one time and I had to rush her to the ER. Thankfully, they were able to induce vomiting and get it out that way.

About the bones - I'd be worried about it splintering, but I think it'd be ok if you supervised them.

But you said you were worried it would "shard in the dog's stomach." Do you mean it would break into shards when it's already in the stomach whole?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:20 PM

I don't and won't give my dogs choo hooves. I don't like them.

As far as the bones you got, I get them for my dogs all the time. So far no problems. Of course, they only get them while being supervised.

Tags
dog owners, pit bull