Doberman Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Doberman Question

I own a 10 yr old male cat and a 3 year old Shih-Tzu dog who weighs about 9 lbs..

I love Doberman dogs and I'd like to add a Doberman to the family but I'm concerned about safety ...

I know that a lot of dog breeds get along with cats especially if you bring in a puppy ... then again there are some breeds who don’’t.

My cat is a large breed (17 lbs.), he's very friendly and very playful and active even at this age. He's always been more active than an average cat. He gets along with everybody. The same with my dog. Both of them are very friendly, playful and sociable.

Do Dobermans get along with cats and small dogs ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

Honestly, all dogs are different. They all have their own personality and their own likes and dislikes so there's no way to know without introducing them.

I had a 3/4 doberman 1/4 german sheppard cross. She got along with all dogs(all the one's she had met anyway) and loved to play with my mom's pomeranian, but cats....well she played too rough. She never meant to hurt them, but I guess she didn't really know how to play with them.

I say that if you get a doberman or any breed for that matter, to first introduce new animals to her while she is in a kennel. And then again while the other animal is in a kennel and she is out. Then if that seems to work out then put both animals on a leash and gradually bring them closer together. You'll know if it'll work out or not. I don't recommend just releasing both animals together right away, that could end in a big mess. Good luck and I hope it works out for you and that I was helpful.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yes, you can buy a purebred DOBERMANN puppy. I think that there won't be any problem, also it's better to teach the DOBERMANN puppy something before it grows up. DOBERMANN breed is a wonderful dog breed. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Rodentologist

Your best bet if you're concerned with your other animals is to seek out an adult doberman at a rescue that they've temper tested with other animals. That way you don't have to worry about ending up with a puppy with a lot of drive, etc.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks everybody for responding.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
Honestly, all dogs are different. They all have their own personality and their own likes and dislikes ....
That's so true ...

thank you for replying, I appreciate your input.

I don't put a value on dogs because of their breed or pedigree ... They are all precious in my eyes.

But my question is basic, it's more about the breed, -- some breeds have a track record and you know from the start that it's going to be an issue or not ... for example if you get a bulldog, from the start you know that there is a good chance of problems with other dogs.

Overall I'm getting the feeling that Dobermans don't have a basic problem with cats .... which is good news
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Your best bet if you're concerned with your other animals is to seek out an adult doberman at a rescue that they've temper tested with other animals. That way you don't have to worry about ending up with a puppy with a lot of drive, etc.

I had set my heart on getting a puppoy but your post got me thinking.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

I'd say the most common characteristic with dobermans is stubburness and very fast learners. The only problem with those two are that they learn fast, but they don't want to listen to you, so it's almost pointless, lol. Okay, maybe not that bad, lol.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think it all depends on the training that you do with it, I think it is easier to teach a puppy to like things when they are the age that they don't know the fun of chasing, they haven't had any issues with cats before, and they are too little to be able to kill the cat easily.

I don't think that any breed is a sure bet on if they will have problems, or wont at least behavioral. I think the only thing breed descriptions help on is energy level, and health problems prone to the breed.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thumbs up

My Dobe is turning 10 years old this month and I can say without a doubt that she is the best dog I've ever owned. She is very smart, was easy to train, and gets along great with other dogs, cats, and people. She's very laid back and loyal. I will definitely get another one in the future when this one passes away (but hopefully not for many more years!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

My parents has always owned dobermen, and everyone my family has had were very loyal but some where to over loyal if you get what i mean? Very protective over them. But as anoter poster said you CANNOT say this and that about any breed its how YOU bring them up and train them to be.
Good luck, but even if you go to a rescue you never know you might find the perfect adult dog instead of a puppy! x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have a book called the Howell Book of Dogs. It gives a very brief overview of just about every breed you can imagine. Of course, every dog has its own personality so there are no hard rules, but according to the book, what the dog was originally bred for usually impacts behavior. (So you might not want to have a hunting dog around cats.)

I looked up Dobermans, and they were bred as a companion and guard dog, not a hunting dog. It says "They can be good with other pets and, when taught not to chase, with the family cat.”
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

even some hunting dogs wont have issues with the family cat, we have had many labs and they are the best with other critters, a few cats even kicked on of ours out of his doghouse.

And one cat had kittens in his doghouse and he would go check on them. it was cute.

not that that has much to do with Dobermans but it does say that not all dogs act the way the breed was intended.

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

True. That's why I made the disclaimer "every dog has its own personality so there are no hard rules".

I have a lab mix, and she's great with my cat. (Although she does chase him occasionally - but would never hurt him.) I think labs were bird dogs, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfielder View Post
I have a book called the Howell Book of Dogs. It gives a very brief overview of just about every breed .....

according to the book, what the dog was originally bred for usually impacts behavior. (So you might not want to have a hunting dog around cats.)

I looked up Dobermans, and they were bred as a companion and guard dog, not a hunting dog. It says "They can be good with other pets and, when taught not to chase, with the family cat.”
Thank you for your realistic answer. This is the type of answer I was looking for. I think a realistic answer is more useful (and safer) than a romantic one.

Thanks again.

Tags
cat, doberman, dog, safety