Does anyone here breed Pugs? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Does anyone here breed Pugs?

Well, after many years of wishing and searching I finally "took the plunge" and purchased a Pug puppy that is a show/breeding girl. She was born on September 8th, 2004 and will be coming home around November 8th, 2004 when she is eight weeks old.

I've been breeding and showing Exotic Shorthairs (Shorthaired Persian Cats) for quite some time now but have never bred or shown a dog. Any advice for a newbie pug breeder who wants to do things the right way?

My girl is from the Blaque and Lazy-G Lines which I'm told are the top lines out here in California. Here's a picture of the litter I am selecting my girl from:

anyone out there know about show standards for the pugs? do you see any beauties right off of the bat?

ANY AND ALL advice is appreciated. I do have a mentor who has been breeding for 10 years but any info helps.

Amber

Last edited by RareBreedExotic; 10-16-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i don't have any info, but i just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your new puggie wuggie! you will love her so much i bet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
i don't have any info, but i just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your new puggie wuggie! you will love her so much i bet!
thanks for the congrats! i'm soooooooooooooo excited. we have a countdown calendar for her arrival and my husband even bought me a sign for our front gate. isn't it cute?
Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aww, congrats on your new pup! And the sign is pugdorable!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

that sign is great!! can't wait to see pics!

do you have a name picked out?

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 06:09 PM

My mom and I have been breeding Pugs since I was little. Well my Grandma and my mom were doing it before I was born. Pugs are the only type of dog I have ever been around. I don't know anything about showing though. I haven't started doing that yet. Sorry.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug_angel_101
My mom and I have been breeding Pugs since I was little. Well my Grandma and my mom were doing it before I was born. Pugs are the only type of dog I have ever been around. I don't know anything about showing though. I haven't started doing that yet. Sorry.
i know a lot about the temperament of the breed but i'm just worried about the risks and health issues involving breeding. any info on the gestation/birthing/whelping process?
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
that sign is great!! can't wait to see pics!

do you have a name picked out?
ok. no laughing. pugs are very social dogs who LOVE attention. they kinda prance around and perform when attention is given. my mom's pug (he was our pug but his tail when straight after returning from a 3 day visit to my mom's house while we were away) prances and dances when she puts his red sweater on him and he really feels special when he is wearing that sweater.

based on this, my kids picked the name "twinkle" because they believe that they will be able to sing "twinkle twinkle little star" for our pug which will make her "dance." i can totally see this happening and i just can't wait to have her home with us. she'll definitely be loved by all members of the family.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Congrats!!!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Make sure she is at least 2 years old and has gone through 4 heat cycles before breeding her. Breeding too young can seriously damage your dog and shorten her life-span dramatically.

Gestation is the same for all dog breeds and it's anywhere from 60-64 days...usually around 62-63 from my experience.

Birthing...I'm not entirely sure about...some breeds such as English Bulldogs always have to have C-Sections as they cannot deliver naturally. I don't know if pugs are the same or not. I don't think so, but this is definetly something you'll want to look into.

Welping-same as any other breed of dog. Mom pretty much takes care of things and weaning is done around 8 weeks of age.

Before you get into breeding, you may want to hit up some dog shows to see what quality pugs are looking like. You will also want to be sure your pup falls within all the standards and is of sound health before concidering breeding her. You will want to show her as well if you want to be a reputable breeder and make sure you get her pedigree info and get her registered with AKC or UKC or whatever kennel club you decide to join. Make sure you get her health tested and hips certified as well. You only want to better the breed and therefore should only breed the best of the best.

Congratulations on your new addition and you will definetly need to post pics once you pick her out and bring her home!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:55 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

I just remembered a tip a pug breeder I am acquainted with told me, and I can't vouch for how true this is, but he's been breeding for decades... He says the top pugs have this special little "thumb print" on their forehead, between their eyes. It looks like someone (some joke God does this ) pressed their thumb into the wrinkles on their forehead, leaving a permanent print.

Again, don't know how true this is, but I was told it's the mark of a Pug champ. Only the best have it. It might be a good idea to look into this, and if so, it could help you pick our your pug.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Make sure she is at least 2 years old and has gone through 4 heat cycles before breeding her. Breeding too young can seriously damage your dog and shorten her life-span dramatically.

Gestation is the same for all dog breeds and it's anywhere from 60-64 days...usually around 62-63 from my experience.

Birthing...I'm not entirely sure about...some breeds such as English Bulldogs always have to have C-Sections as they cannot deliver naturally. I don't know if pugs are the same or not. I don't think so, but this is definetly something you'll want to look into.

Welping-same as any other breed of dog. Mom pretty much takes care of things and weaning is done around 8 weeks of age.

Before you get into breeding, you may want to hit up some dog shows to see what quality pugs are looking like. You will also want to be sure your pup falls within all the standards and is of sound health before concidering breeding her. You will want to show her as well if you want to be a reputable breeder and make sure you get her pedigree info and get her registered with AKC or UKC or whatever kennel club you decide to join. Make sure you get her health tested and hips certified as well. You only want to better the breed and therefore should only breed the best of the best.

Congratulations on your new addition and you will definetly need to post pics once you pick her out and bring her home!
her parents are both champions and she comes from the top lines in california (blaque and lazy-g). i plan on showing her for a few years before the breeding thing happens and would like to get her championed (if possible) in that time.there are handler classes in my area every thursday night for around $2 per class so i'll be going to those as well. by the time the showing comes to a close i'm sure we will have a good idea of her temperment vs health and will be able to decide if she will be a good breeder. so far the bloodlines are good but temperment is really important too.

how do you know if a dog is in heat? my cats just yell a lot and want to be petted. are dogs the same?

amber
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
I just remembered a tip a pug breeder I am acquainted with told me, and I can't vouch for how true this is, but he's been breeding for decades... He says the top pugs have this special little "thumb print" on their forehead, between their eyes. It looks like someone (some joke God does this ) pressed their thumb into the wrinkles on their forehead, leaving a permanent print.

Again, don't know how true this is, but I was told it's the mark of a Pug champ. Only the best have it. It might be a good idea to look into this, and if so, it could help you pick our your pug.
i'll ask my mentor and see if she's heard of the thumb mark. that's really cool.
amber
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz

Looks like Gumbo has this! (It's more obviously oval shaped when his wrinkles smooth out a bit)

Stephanie

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Looks like Gumbo has this!

i didn't know that gumbo was a pug! pugs do have a lot of skin things. was he the puppy with the itching?

Tags
black velvet, cocker spaniel, heat cycle, humane society, kennel club, mixed breed, pet quality, pet store, reputable breeder