Does your dog likes heartguard? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Does your dog likes heartguard?

Well, I usually buy interceptor, cause they cover 1 intestinal parasite that heartguard doesn't. I don't have any problems feeding them to the girls, as a matter of fact, they both fight over them pills... both want to eat both tablets. Now, Mr. Odie is a different story. I have to chase him, cause he hides as soon as he sees the box, then open his mouth and put the tablet right on his throat and hold his mouth shut till he swallows. I've tried hiding the pill on a bit of cheese and on a bit of bacon... these things he normally eat pretty fast, but when the pill is hidden he refuses to eat it, can you believe it? well, this week I notice that I ran out of interceptor for Odie, so I went to be vet to get another box. The tech told me that they had ran out of it, so she gave me a heartguard tablet for this month. They are supposed to be meat flavored and could be given as a treat. Well, I came home and made the usuall fuzz I make when I have something for Odie. I start telling him "I brought you something! I have a little cookie for my baby..." and he gets all excited and starts running and doing his little dance... I take out the heartguard "treat" and give it to him. He takes it to my bed and drops it there, smells it and looks at me with a "hahaha... funny mom" look. Then he stands up from the bed and goes outside leaving the thing there in my bed. I call him and tell him to eat it. He smells it again and starts sneezing (he does it when he doesn't like something). I tell him to eat it again and he puts it in his mouth, chews enough to leave a tiny tooth mark on it and puts it on the bed again sneezing. We continue this for another 5-7 minutes till he finally ate it. Does anyone out there has a dog that don't like heartguard either? Or is Odie the only freak around that refuses to eat something that has medicine even if it's supposed to taste good? LOL Picky picky Odie!

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

OMG yeah. My dogs LOVE their heartgard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

My dog loves his Heartguart. Until now, I hadn't heard of a dog that didn't think it was a treat.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Part of the Pack

My Pom doesn't like his heartgard either! The cheese works though! The Chihuaha i'm babysitting I've heard doesn't like it in cheese either... or in any other... I guess the only way to make him take it is force it down. Or just stay until he eats it.

I've also heard that they do six month shots for the heartgard as well. I did that a few times... but its easier to walk in and get the box than it is to bring her all the way to the vets!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ok...
What is it and should I be giving it to my dog?

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm not finding much information, but it doesn't look like canine heartworm is prevalent in Sweden. Heartguard is a 'preventative' given monthly which kills the baby form of the parasites before they have time to turn into adults. Here's an article on heartworm for you: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4402
I'd give your vet a call or search in swedish to be sure of whether or not it's recommended.

Stephanie

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ok thanx.
never heard of it coz never gave it to my dogs in the UK
I will call them

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6496
I've also heard that they do six month shots for the heartgard as well. I did that a few times... but its easier to walk in and get the box than it is to bring her all the way to the vets!
Yeah, and since odie is small, and pretty manegeable (with me... I bet no one else in my family could make him take the pill), I just use the pills. He hides and try to shut his mouth up, but doesn't try to bite me and ends up swallowing it.. he just trys to make me desist... LOL.

Hmmm.... Odie's not a pure chihuahua, but a chi-mix... I bet it's cause of that! LOL He has a lot of chi attitude... LOL

Dimaris

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Biscuit now gets the yearly heartwrom prevention needle but before she loved her heartguard! She'd do tricks to get it!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_smurtles
Ok thanx.
never heard of it coz never gave it to my dogs in the UK
I will call them
Don't worry we don't treat dogs for Heart Worm over here in the UK as not an issue we have to deal with and i'm pretty sure you don't in Sweden either but you could always check with your vet if you are worried

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 04:33 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Tatyana has never been on any kind of heartworm pill and was never tested, but Natalya started on it when i first got her and she absolutely loves it... i have to give tatyana a dog treat before i give natalya her heartgard or tatyana gets jealous
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

Harley loves her Heartguard! She gobbles it up like it's a treat!

Karen

[

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Naked Dog Mom

Ein LOVES his heartguard. But he loves anything that he can eat, including ice cubes, strings from his rope and stuffing from his toys.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Playful Pup

My dog loves it! He thinks its a treat.

Jessica