Does your dog tell you when it's dinner time? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Does your dog tell you when it's dinner time?

I think sometimes my little Jack Russell is quite different from other dogs. She certainly is different from the dogs I've owned before.

She tries to manipulate me before I feed her dinner. She lays in front of me to get my attention. Then, she starts to shake from head to toe. There is nothing medically wrong with her. She is not cold either. She only does this before dinner time. She is trying to make me feel sorry for her because she hasn't eaten since her last treat! Poor Misha! LOL

Does your dog try to manipulate you into feeding him/her? Does anyone else's dog shake like Misha does to get attention?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

When my dog is hungry (he's 8 months now) he just goes straight to the food bag and paws at it and looks at me like "Mom...HELLO!!" I keep it at a level that he can reach so all he has to do is paw at it when he is hungry. It seems to be working great! He never over eats and at his last check up the vet said he was right on target weight wise. Also, EVERY time I feed him I make sure to say the word "food" as I"m pouring it so if he's acting up I can just ask and he will know what I'm talking about. If he wants it...he will surely respond. I think your dog might be shaking out of frustration. I'm no expert, but I'd try keeping the bag where he can reach it so HE can let YOU know maybe?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Playful Pup

Whenever i am having a dinner, I always call my dog bob, we always eat together (of course with his dog food). I don't see any wrong with your dog, maybe she was hungry and the only way to catch your attention is to lay in front of you.

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-PetStreetMall.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Adolescent Pup

sorry...I meant "SHE." I'm so used to saying "he" because I have a little boy!! I'm so sorry!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Newborn Pup

It does seem as if dogs do know when their dinner time is and they will tell you. Its funny because you wonder how can they know what time it is? But maybe its just part of their instincts, so yes my dogs do try to get attention they don't shake but they will jump up on you as way to tell you its dinner time.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Dogs can learn that, especially when they trained to do a routine. My friend's pup had to go a disciplined routine to control his pooping and peeing, they had routine for wake up and go outside to do his business, meals are timed too and 15-20 mins after that they go outside for poop/pee again, until the dog able to do his business on time.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Newborn Pup

My guys definitely know when it's dinner time, and while they're not manipulative about it, they give you "that look" (dog owners know it well!) that almost magnetically draws you to the food!!