Dog is acting strange - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Dog is acting strange

I have a Shitz zhu (sp) she is 6 years old. We recently had to have her on steroids because she has a severe skin problem.( itching until she causes painful soars) So she has been off the steroids for 3 days, and she is lookings like she is pregnant, her nipples are swollen with milk coming out. She is obsessed with our cat, which she has always stayed away from, and now she will not stop licking the cats head and ears, following it around the house etc. I always know where she is and have not seen any other male dogs in the area, she was just in heat about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone have any ideas about this, or gone through anything like this? Will call the vet on Monday if she continues. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Google canine false pregnancy. That sounds like a distinct possibility.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. That was very helpful, that sounds like what is going on. We've never noticed her doing this before. It's pretty entertaining watching her with Clyde(the kitten) trying to get him to lay down so she can mother him. We will talk to her vet on Monday and see if we can help her through this quickly. For the cats sake as well.... his poor ears are bright red.

Thank-you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Will It Ever Change?

lol that's cute the dog wants to mother the kitty! i hope all is well with your pup, keep us updated

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know of anything I can do for her swollen teets? I think they might be soar she won't let me touch them, and the web sight said not to touch them. ( it would make her produce more milk) Can they get infected if she doesn't release the milk?
Thanks for any info.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Will It Ever Change?

if she's in pain and won't let you touch her nipples, then you should see a vet maybe?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I have a call into the vet this morning. Didn't know if anyone knew of any home remedies. Thanks. I'll let you know what I find out.