dog beging sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

dog being sick

kizzy has been being sick all night and once today after we got back from the beach.

i asked my mum whats she has been eating but she said only her cat food(she wont eat dog food and the vet said to feed it her) and not much else which it strange... after she has been sick she sits around for a while then she is back to normal, running, barking ect... and today she was perfectly fine then she was sick?

my mum isnt doing anything to help her, i dont know what wrong with her, she wont take kizzy to the vet aswell.

she hasnt change food or anything.
i need to know what could be upsetting belly so i can try and fix it.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i miss you tocco and the other babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Hello Earthling

Have you called the vet??

I would not feed cat food since cats and dogs are different, thus they have different nutishional reqirements.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

yeah this it, my mum wount call the vet or have anything to do with vet and spening money..........

and the vet said its fine if she has cat food and sometimes she has human food and she has ad no problems with it

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Newborn Pup

No wonder she's being sick being vet cat food. There are some sort of vitamin/mineral/ingredient in cat food that helps cats eyes and damages the dogs liver. Silly vet if he told you to feed her cat food. Get her back on dog food.

Tegan - Frankie - Buddy - Flossika

Whiskas - Cookie

: Eva - Luna - Emi - Mouse - Uno

" My Pets Are My Life"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

How many kinds of dog food did you try before switching to cat food? I had to try a bunch of different kinds of dog food with Kit before we found a type that didn't bother his allergies and that he actually would eat. Some brands come in different flavors, or you could mix in some wet food with the kibbles to make it taste better, or even small pieces of chicken or something.

Also, some brands of dog food will send you samples if you email them or go on their websites. Then you could maybe find a kind she will eat without having to buy a whole bag of it that she might not even eat.

She could have eaten something at the beach that bothered her. Is she throwing up? When Kit's tummy isn't feeling well I give him bland food, just boiled chicken mixed with rice. But if she doesn't feel better soon I would at least call the vet. It doesn't cost anything to just call and talk to them. You don't want Kizzy to get dehydrated or anything.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

kizzy has been on cat food since we got her and she has been fine so i dont think its the cat food and We tried every dog food but she wont eat it. kizzy loves cat food and my mum isnt listening to me so i dont know what to do...

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

you need a new vet! any vet who says to feed cat food is just wanting to see you for more vet visits since you will have a sick unhealthy dog since you feed cat food.

dogs should NEVER eat cat food.
your vet needs his practice taken away.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Newborn Pup

Your not helping him at all by feeding cat food. Sometimes dogs are fussy with the size of the kibble and don't like to crunch. If thats the case by some bland food for small dogs and add some tuna or chicken. Both works well. Dogs on cat food get badly malnurished.

Your not helping him at all with cat food.

Is he eating?
What is he bringing up?
Any blood in his sick?

Whiskas - Cookie

" My Pets Are My Life"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

no blood just yellow stuff and shes not eating grass and im going to get kizzy and dog food no matter what, and that means annoying my mum to get dog food everytime im home from school...lol

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

How often do you feed her? What times? Is it like foamy yellow stuff? It might be bile. Some dogs throw up bile when they are hungry or don't get a meal at their regular meal time. You could call the vet and ask them their advice, most will be happy to talk to you over the phone and of course it's free to just talk to them.

I'm glad you're going to try to get her on dog food. When I got Kit he wasn't on the best brand of food, so I switched him to a better brand. He's eating Wellness just for puppy now, and he really wasn't crazy about it at first. But now he seems to like it and always eats it all.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

a dog will not starve its self.

I promise you that! Your dog will eat the dog food. good luck

ps. if the dog drank ocean water it can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Usually nothing to worry about

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

no se was being sick before we went to the beach so its not that and i mabe sure she didnt drink sea water and she had her food at normal times at the same time. and my mum said if i went to the shop she might get some dog food, we are gonna try her on bakers dog food and it let you add water and gravy appears and makes the food soft, that if my mum well remmeber to get some (i will make sure she dose)

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem

Last edited by AnimalMad; 09-14-2009 at 01:16 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Newborn Pup

I agree with Dragonrain, sounds like bile & that shes p[robs hungry. Maybe cat food is;nt feeding her enough.. My dogs would go through 15kg of cat food a day if they had to eat that..
Get her a good qulity dog food, Something with brown kibble, nothing like bakers etc. Try James Wellbeloved, Which is good for skin. If not try Chappie has a easily digestable formula. You don;t always have to go all expensive to get something of a good quality. Most expensive foods your paying for the packaging more than the ingredidenits.
When you look at dog food remeber the pacaging & think to yourself, I wonder how much that cost to make with profit needed also.

Sources - Worked with a company that made dog food. "Can't say which company"

Whiskas - Cookie

" My Pets Are My Life"
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I looked at this site pretty often when I was trying to figure out what would work best for Kit...

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Remember that you might need to try a couple of different foods before you find one that works well for Kizzy. Some foods I tried with Kit didn't agree with him as much as others did, and some foods he didn't like as much. Not every dog is the same, so not all dog foods will work for every dog. I would recommend getting smaller bags of kibble to start out, and try them for a couple of weeks. When you find one she likes and that works well for her, you can stick with it. Don't give up if the first kind you try isn't a good match for her, there is bound to be a brand/flavor out there that will work for her!

And with the throwing up...do you feed her once a day or twice? Kit threw up bile when we tried feeding him only once a day, so we switched back to feeding him twice a day. Make sure you are feeding the proper amount per day based on your dogs weight, age, and activity level. Maybe Kizzy isn't getting enough food? On the back of my dog food bags there is a chart suggesting how much to feed based on the dogs weight and age. I don't know how you would calculate how much cat food is enough for Kizzy unless you are counting calories?

Good luck!

Tags
dog, sick