dog/cat fights - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy dog/cat fights

My sister got a new rescue dog, a Golden Retriever/Great Pyrenees mix. She is about four years old and has not been socialized with cats. We have four cats that she seems to want to chase. Does anyone have some tips for me so that we can all live together in harmony?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

is she just chasing them? is it play or are the cats bothered by it? I'd perhaps suggest separating them and only allowing supervised playtime together. This way you can stop any unwanted behavior the moment it starts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

At first the dog was just trying to play, but now it is more like she is hunting for them. I think you are right, they will have to be seperated. My cats have been in hiding and are only now getting brave enough to come out when the dog is outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:06 PM

HOw long has your sister had the dog? It may just be that they need time to get to learn their boundaries. I would keep them separated and bring them together when they can be supervised and correct the dog every time it chases the cats. My boyfriends dog will chase my cat, but she lives fine with 2 cats at home because they are no longer new and interesting. The dog might also think it is a game to chase the cats. My dog Shadow (a golden) chases my cat sometimes because he thinks it is fun. As long as she is not trying to hurt the cat, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe get something like a cat tree so the cats can climb to get away from the dog.
do you have any pics of the dog? I would love to see what a golden/pyrennes looks like.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My sister got the dog 5 days ago. She is very sweet, but she needs training. I spent today making a gate to seperate our kitchen from the living room to keep her away from the cats. I think it will work out, but it is going to take a long time. We were told she is 4 years old, but she acts younger than that. Today our 8 year old neighbor girl came over. She started running and Ivy knocked her down and was play biting. We were told that her owner was in his 90's and he died, so we don't know much about her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ivy.jpg (22.3 KB, 8 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

you could find a cheap baby gate at a garage sale and those seem to work pretty well. Although, I dont' know the likelihood of the dog jumping it. Cats will or climb them but hopefully they wouldn't go into the doggy area. They'd probably learn after the first efw times.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 05:14 PM

That's a beautiful dog. I hope she works out for your family. A baby gate is a good idea to give the cats some peace. Good Luck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

This is a picture of the gate I made in a hurry from a piece of scrap lattice, it is painted on the other side. In the lower right corner is a wire grid with a hole large enough for the cats to pass through, but too small for the dog to get through. I think I need to cover the rest of the gate with wire to keep the dog from tearing the wood apart. Thanks for your suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gate.jpg (49.2 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

nice makeshift get. Hope things work out. I'm sure the dog will settle himself and get used to the kitties.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.

Tags
golden retriever