Dog Clothes? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I have heard alot of people think that letting your dog wear clothes is cruel. I was wandering your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 PM

I think it depends. If it's something to help protect the dog (ie. from the cold, or rain) or just plain doesn't inhibit the dog in any way, I think it's fine. I just feel bad for the poor little dogs that people make wear shoes, shirts, sunglasses, hats, and the whole shebang, just to make them look "cute." I think they look cute enough all on their own

I don't know, I guess I'm on the fence.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:19 AM

I think it depends too. Some dogs like to wear stuff. The lady I work for has a yorkie and she LOVES to wear her different sweaters when it's cold out. Shadow wore a Halloween costume the one year because we went Trick or Treating for Unicef with my sorority and he loved it because everyone kept saying how cute he was. (see the pics) He wouldn't wear the hat again so it was pitched and the shirt had to have the arms cut off cuz he was too broad chested! He hasn't worn it since.
I think if it is once in awhile or to keep them safe then that's cool, but I think it's funny when people have like 30 outfits for their dogs. I once saw on TV where someone had a separate room in their house for the dogs made to look like the outside. It even had an outhouse for them! That's a little overboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shadow (7)sm.jpg (19.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Shadow (8)sm.jpg (18.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Shadowsm.jpg (20.2 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:20 AM

PS --> couldn't resist with the outfit cuz he had a UTI when I got him and was peeing all over the floor! He had too much hair for the outfit though lol
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Some dogs just don't like to wear it. I considered getting my carin terrior a fleece sweater one year because theres a huge parade that goes by our house. My mom throws a party and my doggy always insisted on being out there with me, but he shivered terribly. I wanted to buy him a fleece but he died before the next parade

*Missy*
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:54 AM

It depends on the dog. If a dog is going to be freaked out, its pretty cruel to subject them to it just to make them look cute.

Now if it is for their own protection (i.e. a hairless breed going outside in a snowstorm), thats another story.

I have one dog that goes crazy for shirts. He loves the ooohs and ahhhs he gets when he wears clothes. I rarely put anything on him, but its a good time for him when I do.

If the dog doesn't mind and he can run and play normally, then I don't think its cruel.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Sadei has two sweaters that he loves to wear when she gets them on she will strut her stuff lol! Although she has a thick coat she shivers when we go outside. She isn't that used to cold weather we moved from southern Alabama to northern California!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:52 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I don't think its cruel. Only if the dog is ashamed and can not stand being seen or is obviously upset by having it put on them... But its not a big deal. Some people just like to. Especially little dogs. I admit it can be really cute sometimes! But I'm personally not into dressing up my GSD. Though it would be cool for certain occassion's.

A family I used to babysit for had a Weim and they got him this dog t-shirt from Old Navy for July 4th. I thought he looked so cool in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My dogs just have sweaters for when it's cold outside. Rocky isn't a huge fan of his but he doesn't get upset either. Plus, if he doesn't wear it then he complains about the cold .

Sophie, on the other hand, loves the attention she gets by wearing clothes so she wears shirts and sweaters more often. She even has a pink bonnet that she wears on Easter for pictures . I've dressed her up since she was a puppy so she's used to it .

I think as long as the dog doesn't hate it then it's fine, especially if it's to keep them warm or dry. I'm thinking about buying raincoats for my dogs so they can still play outside in the rain without getting filthy.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:57 PM

i just bought a chihuahua and i thought clothes were kinda corny but she needs one when we go outside its not warm enough, so like everyone else has been saying as long as there is no harm for the animal and if they arent upset by it, then it should be ok.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 04:57 AM

i just bought a puppy clothes too. my dog is so cute when the clothes is on ....

i bought it from here
http://www.woofwoofland.com
u guys might wanna have a look ..
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Still Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by savepaws
It depends on the dog. If a dog is going to be freaked out, its pretty cruel to subject them to it just to make them look cute.

Now if it is for their own protection (i.e. a hairless breed going outside in a snowstorm), thats another story.

I have one dog that goes crazy for shirts. He loves the ooohs and ahhhs he gets when he wears clothes. I rarely put anything on him, but its a good time for him when I do.

If the dog doesn't mind and he can run and play normally, then I don't think its cruel.
Agreed.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

like everyone else said i think its ok, as long as the pet doesnt mind too much, We got Allie a lil jacket thing, hoping it would help keep her warm a bit. She didnt seem to mind having it on around the house.. But when i took her outside to potty, she wouldnt go with it on, she jus kinda stood there and looked at me. but as soon as i took it off she went, so it kinda defeats the purpose, but we still use it sometimes when we take her somewhere in the winter, altho she usually ends up tucked in my coat anyway
heres a pic, i think

My Furry Family
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

I think it is okay as long as the dog is not being harmed or isn't embarrassed.

And I fully agree with dogs or breeds that NEED coats or sweaters to keep warm on cold days.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Still Waiting

Like my little chihuahua, Sweety, barely has any fur on her, poor girl, and she could just not make it without a sweater in those cold winter days. I think that if it is needed..then there is definately no harm in using one.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed