Dog with diarrhea - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Dog with diarrhea

My new puppy has diarrhea from stress and changing foods quickly, since the breeder was feeding him purina and I feed my animals natural balance. I read that you can give pumpkin to your dog for diarrhea and I started to and his poo would get a little more formed but then after he ate his food it'd start again. Am I supposed to give it to him with his food like you can with rice? Also how much am I supposed to give him. Hes a shih tzu so he probably only weighs about 4 lbs. Today being the 5th day hes had diarrhea, the vet said its probably from stress and changing food quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 01:08 PM

I don't know about the remedies but such a lil guy with diarrhea so long would be of concern to me.... be sure he's drinking a lot to avoid dehydration.

I also found that taking all food away for a day tends to help. It gives everything a chance to empty out and REST for a few hours before having to work again at the food... I've done the "no food for a day" routine a few times in the past and every time it helped tremendously.... just remember to continue getting them to drink throughout the day as that's important. For treats and "the joy of eating" I would offer up ice cubes which my dogs adore
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 PM

How's he doing?

Keep us posted ok ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:37 PM

My first concern with a new puppy that has diarrhea is always Parvo. I always recommend a trip to the vet.

Besides that, cooked white rice and boiled chicken is a good bland diet to help.

Tags
shih tzu