Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Brittney 
#1 ·
Ray and I have been talking for months about getting a dog. We were debating on a shelter dog versus a purebreed, and finally agreed on a shelter puppy.

We aren't planning on getting the puppy until June, giving us time to get our crate, toys, and everything instead of just rushing out and making one huge purchase. I keep an eye on petfinder and my local humane society websites though, and the other day a 5 month old golden retriever was advertised. Now, all puppies are supposed to be $185 there, when I clicked the link, they wanted $380. I was kind of chocked and surprised. I mean, it is totally reasonable price for a golden retriever, but is it fair to jack up the price when all the pitbull mixes are 185? I mean there are plenty of "backyard breeders" in our news paper that sell puppies for 300-minus the shots and neauturing but still.

Melissa-if you see this! As for the sheltie advertised as free in our pennysaver, it had an "incident" with one of her Mother's kittens. We didn't bother going out because even if I can understand a dog doing that, I do not want a dog around my daughter and cats that has done something like that. If we would have ver had an incident I would have always blamed myself.

#2 ·
They probably jacked up the price because it is a pure breed instead of a mix. Goldens are great dogs too. Well worth the price but you could probably find one for cheaper before June. Good luck on your dog search.
As for a dog that is good with cats and kids...I have never met a mean Golden. Shadow's best friends is my cat (actually it was my roomie's cat before she moved out so I had to get him another one) and he's extremely good with people with disabilities and kids. He can adjust his temperment depending on who he is around. In fact one time at PetSmart some little kid came up and was crawling all over him and pulling his fur and ears and he just licked the kid in the face and took everything. Amazing considering his rough beginning.
There are also a lot of other dogs just as mild tempered as goldens. I hope you are able to find one that fits with your family. Good Luck :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.