Dog doesn't want to pee - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dog doesn't want to pee

My dog only wants to pee and poo off leash in an open area of grass.
We used to have a backyard for three years-- we no longer do. There is a park that is about a 15 minute walk away from our home that has offleash hours, but only before 9 am, and after 9 pm. We take her there twice a day, and she pees and usually poos there. But when we walk her several times during the middle of the day, she won't go to the bathroom. There are areas with grass that I walk her to during the day, but she just won't go. Sometimes I walk her to the same park that she pees in offleash at night and early in the morning, thinking that she will go because it smells like where she usually goes potty. But nothing. She's only peed more than twice a day a couple of times in the past month.

Once, a year and a half ago, we went away for a three day weekend and she stayed with a friend, and didn't go to the bathroom for THREE ENTIRE DAYS. They walked her to a nearby park, but the park had no off-leash hours, and she wouldn't go.

Another time, when we were between apartments, we lived where there were no offleash parks anywhere near us, and I walked her 6 or 7 times a day, and she didn't go to the bathroom for 2 days, before we took her to the parents' house that has a backyard that she can go in without a leash.

Is this strange for a dog to be so reluctant to go to the bathroom off leash? I don't know if I should be letting her go offleash at all until she gets used to peeing on a leash, as it's not possible for me to let her go offleash more than twice a day because there just isn't anywhere to do it, and I'm worried that if this happening for the long term, it will give her a UTI or something to only go twice a day? But I'm also worried that she'll be so stubborn if I try to train her to go on her leash, that she'll really just hold out for days and days and give herself a UTI that way too!

Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

do you have a retractable leash? it may help her feel like she is off leash and still be on one.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Playful Pup

Does your dog get enough water? Getting lots of water will help the dog pee. In serious cases, Diuretics can help in solving pee problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
are like potato chips, you really can't have just one…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you tried litter box? There are made with almost natural grass..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
dog pee poop