Dog Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

Dog Food

I was wondering what everyone fed their dogs, right now I am feeding them chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, have been since we got the puppies...but I have to say, the prices keep going up and it almost 140 a month to feed the 4 dogs on it. I know that may not sound like alot to some people, but right now its really hard on us, we have considered switching them to something cheaper, but I don't want to feed them food thats no good for them...so I was looking to see what others fed their dogs

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 AM

We feed ours pedigree dry dog food adult complet nutrition little bits. We spend about $20 a month for one 40 lb bag.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Hello Earthling

We feed Kiwi and Kibbles Nature's Recipe Venison Meal & Rice Canine

They like it and it has no fillers.No corn,wheat,beef. Yummy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you still want to feed a higher quality food, but cut your price down a little, the lowest I would ever consider going with my dogs is either Nutro Ultra, or Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance...

I feed my two Shepherds Innova EVO, no fillers, grain free, high protien...

Make sure you stay away from low quality foods, like Iams, Eukanuba, Purina, Pedigree...they may be cheaper, but all the fillers and crap that is in the food makes the dog have to eat double the amount to get any nutritional value out of it...
here are two great websites for dog food/nutrition...
www.dogfoodproject.com
www.ourdogsonline.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

yeah my vet told me if you can buy it at the grocery store its not that good for the dogs, we went to chicken soup from avoderm (all the avoderm suppliers here raised the prices to over 65 a bag) I like chicken soup, its a great food, but its so expensive, and its really hard to find...that and the pups don't seem to like it...well unless they get it wet, they get a mouth full and drop it in their bowls and then eat it lol...its so hard to find a goos quality food at a decent price lately

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,Pedigree and all those are full of fillers! But I have known dogs that ate those foods their whole lives and lived perfectly! All dogs are different tho,some can't handle the more expensive brands.

I feed my fosters what is given to me.And they feed what they get donated.Being a rescue,Beagle Paws rely on donations! I have fed fosters Pedigree,Science Diet,Wellness,Iams (even tho I am really against them)...etc! Like I said,whatever is given to me when I get the dog.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i have heard that some grain is good for dogs, they don't need all meat, our dogs even go to the corn field and pick corn to eat, and eat raspberries and mulberries

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

lol my dogs eat whats in the garden...they love tomatos, squash and green beans, egg plants a little lol...they always want to eat the almonds...with them being young, and the other 2 being old we have been trying to feed them what they need...just so hard, money is tight right now, we are doing all we can to feed them high quality, but we are barely scrapping by

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

We feed Indie a dry food mixed with some wet food so that his dry food is mixed in gravy because he preffers that, however, he is better with his dry food, which is why he has that in his diet to.
We mix to dry foods together:
Harringtons Lamb and rice mix
&
Iams rich in chicken.
We also have wainwrights dogs best friend brand for viarity.
We mix the dry food in:
Wonalot casserol for dogs.

Prices are going up here to. I heard on the news last night that people are actually throwing out their dogs because of the credit crunch and shelters have rescued over a thousand abondon dogs this year. It's really bad.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Betta Bomb

Coco eats Nature's Recipe Senior formula now,but man,we had him on EVERYTHING!! last time at the vet she suggested getting her recommended vet food at 25$ for a small bag and after trying it for 2-3 months the only change i noted was that he was filling up on people food and eating less out of his bowl and more from the cats bowl.thats when Natures Recipe hit our shelves here and he eats that twice a day and looks better(despite his weight gain from"AGE?") so-like Vanilla-rat mentiones its different for all dogs and regardless what store brands and vet brands claim,check for yourself the ingredients and if corn meal shows up as the first ingredient then its a filler food and will take more to gain proper nutrients. also, a point to bring up since were in the topic does anyone else feed only wet food? Coco used to only get dry food and when i had to start gining him pills i put them in wet food for his breakfast mixed with dry,and his teeth are getting bad whereas,this time last year the vet said he had suprisinhly awesome teeth for an 11 yr.old......
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Betta Bomb

ok so i should just update on my dumb-ness....i dont feed Coco natures recipe,in fact i dont even know what it is apparently..i feed him Cycle Natural but i dont keep the bag when i buy it so i forgot the name..sorry!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo (pug with allergies) gets Natural Balance's duck/potato variety, solely because the store here with Wellness doesn't carry the duck formula. Creole (pointer) gets Wellness. He had HORRIBLE gas on just about every other food I've tried!

Stephanie

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 PM

Im trying to switch my dogs (& cats actually too) to natural food.Theres an Holistic& Natural Pet Food shop that opened this year in the music store [two shops in one] across from Walmart near me...how awesome is that? Canidae,Go!Natural,& BARKK is what we played around with so far.BARKK both my dogs loved.Canidae they seemed to like too.& Go! Natural they only tested...so not sure.

http://www.petcentralgander.com/ <--the shop link.Hoping to have all dogs& cats switched over by October/ November.Its more costly...but worth it imo.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Guarded by Waffles

We feed Natures Choice (I think)

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

thanks for all the tips... wea re still feeding chicken soup for the dog lovers soul (large breed) for the pups and senior for Lady and Puppers...still looking for something, not cheap, but reasonable lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
dog food