dog food. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

dog food.

I am trying to find a good dog food, dry (he gets morning breakfast wet and then all day dry) I can't do raw food, no room to keep it.

I want something that is not terribly expensive (such as blue buffalo that is $46 for 30 lbs) Right now he is on diamond natural puppy small breed it is chicken based, no corn or wheat. I need it to not be chicken based i think as he may have a mild allergy. I still want no corn no wheat and preferably no soy.

Does it matter if he is on small breed or not? He is almost 9 months old, and about 18 lbs.

I was looking at royal canine because i heard that is good food but it has corn in it so i think that makes it not good. (Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, brewers rice...)

Bil-jac only lists key ingredients. so thats out.

science diet has 1st ingredient corn thats out.

Nutro ultra may be good?

science diet natures best puppy lamb and rice looks ok but is $37 for 15 lbs and i am kind of anti science diet, plus soy is second ingredient.

authority has corn so its out

royal canine medium has chicken meal as first ingredient not chicken itself plus i don't really want chicken

natures recipe puppy lamb is lamb meal not lamb itself

i don't know what 3/4 of the ingredients are in avoderms food.

organix puppy looks ok but it is $17 for 6 lbs. which puts it very very very expensive at $85 for 30 lbs

same for ultramix puppy formula plus it is chicken

why is it so frustrating?! thats all the foods at petsmart for puppies.

what is good amount of protein? they range from 25-35%ish he has 32% now

Is it ok to switch him to adult food at 9 months?

Blue buffalo has adult food that is 38% protein.. i am so confused.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

barking at the moon looks good, but it is over $60 for 33lbs and i am in college it has 41% min protein http://www.petco.com/product/100593/...gFlink_DryFood

I like that it has No wheat
No soybeans
No corn
No grains
No animal fat added
No by-products
No sugar added
No preservatives added
No salt added
No sunflower oil

and no chicken however it is pretty pricey I don't know. Is it too much protein? their puppy food has only 28% protein. I don't know what this means. plus they say the lamb gives bad gas and he can clear a room anyway.

Taste of the wild high prairie canine with bison and venison sounds good and its only $42 for 30 lbs plus it is all stages with min protein 32% http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-car...30-lb--5107637

Does it really have to be this hard to find food?!

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kendalle; 02-15-2010 at 08:42 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I feel your pain! It was frustrating for me to find a food for Kit too. He's also allergic to chicken and grains, so that narrows down the list of possible foods a bit.

I switched Kit over to an adult food when he was 10 months old. My vet said it would be okay, since he's a small breed. I couldn't really find a puppy formula that would work well for him, so we switched him over to adult foods a little bit early (most people do wait until they are a year old).

The reason a lot of the higher quality foods are more expensive, is because they have more calories. That means that you feed a smaller amount than you would of the lower quality foods. So you may be buying the same amount as you are buying of the old food, but it should last longer if you are calculating how much to feed by how many calories your dog needs a day.

Protein levels can be a good indicator about how much meat is actually in the food, as long as the protein is coming from meat and not from things like corn and other grains (grain protein is not digestible to dogs). I feed Kit Wellness Core, which is 34% protein. He's very active, and it works out well for him. Dogs need protein for a number of things, like cell growth and the immune system, and they can convert protein into calories. But if they don't expend enough calories it can be converted into fat. If you look at weight loss formulas, they usually have lower amounts of protein for this reason. Also, dogs with kidney problems shouldn't be feed high protein diets.

Out of the foods you listed, I would personally try Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild.

Last edited by Dragonrain; 02-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

my guys are on Taste of the wild. I recommend it.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I understand the high quality food is more than the lessor but some (science diet.. iams...) Are low quality high price. Its hard to tell what is best. Honestly bark at the moon looks like the best to me, however its more than $20 more than the taste of the wild. So i think i will get taste of the wild for now and it doesn't have chicken or grain.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah it is confusing! I would stay away from brands like Science diet and Iams.

I don't know much about Bark at the Moon. You might have already looked at this site, but it can be useful when you're trying to compare foods.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

"I am trying to find a good dog food, dry (he gets morning breakfast wet and then all day dry) I can't do raw food, no room to keep it."

If you have a dehydrator, you can dehydrate the raw food. That way, you don't need to keep it in the fridge, just an air-tight container. Takes up a lot less room, and lasts a long time. Just add water prior to feeding to rehydrate it, and make sure you read up on how to properly dehydrate meats so you don't accidentally create jerky.

Edit: Also, as far as reading into ingredients, a protein source "meal" delivers more protein and nutrients per pound than say, for example, just "chicken" or "lamb". Lamb meal, or chicken meal, are based in a lot more nutrients.

Science Diet, Iams, and even Royal Canin contain ethoxyquin. Royal Canin doesn't mention it, but if you do your research, you'll see that "fish meal" is preserved with ethoxyquin. Fish meal is fish that's unfit for human consumption, so fisheries through into a bucket with ethoxyquin. There is NO such thing as "fish meal preserved naturally" - that's a downright lie straight from Royal Canin.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 02-15-2010 at 08:04 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I switched to taste of the wild prairie food with bison and venison. I hope he does well on it.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Newborn Pup

my dog loves rice. he was like eating dog food for just 2 months and feed on rice after til now. he is already 5 months. is it okay? i hope you can help me but i will ask my vet Veterinary Fort Worth tomorrow also.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Newborn Pup

i just went threw the same thing tryign to find food for my puppy.. what a pain in the butt!!

and ratty.. i love your icon with the three pics..

jean

Safe and inexpensive chinchilla supplies:

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Playful Pup

Exclamation

quote=annecsmith09;599812
"my dog loves rice. he was like eating dog food for just 2 months and feed on rice after til now. he is already 5 months. is it okay? i hope you can help me but i will ask my vet veterinary fort worth tomorrow also"

Are you feeding your dog only rice??? That is not OK if you are.

To everyone else so bent on the name of the ingredient, it is not only that which is important! The quality of the ingredient is important too. A lot of you seem very against Hill's, however the quality of the ingredients going into their food are the same, if not better, than human food (for example, the beef they turn down because it is not good enough goes to McDonalds and PEOPLE eat it, the corn they do not use goes to Frito-Lays into chips!)
I know "animal by-products" can sound bad, however, it means only the part of any animal that was left behind when making something else..

Dog food is a very sensitive subject for most and the best way to find a suitable food for your dog is food trials. Try a different food for NO LESS than 6 weeks at a time and see how your dog does on it. If you have questions about it, there should be a number on the bag, or at least a website you can go to to ask questions. If you are concerned about an ingredient, bring it up with the company, you may be surprised to find that it is there with good reason.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hills isn't good because it has too much corn in it, corn isn't digestible for dogs or people

Mess is doing good on taste of the wild, it appears he is allergic to something on the carpet, and is on anti-histamine cream and benydryl until we move (this weekend)

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Newborn Pup

Try Purinea or Iams. I've feed that to both of my dogs, with no problems. They aren't as expensive as other brands, either.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Actually byproducts, meat byproducts more specifically include: euthanized dogs and cats, without any plastic ID tags removed, roadkill, slaughterhouse rejects due to disease, old age, or otherwise unfit for human consumption, and animal control pick ups. If you don't believe that to be true, there's a guy on Youtube who is a holistic veterinarian where I got this information from, and I've had this same information quoted to me by a homoepathic counselor. And there's many others out there who have actually taken the courses to find this stuff out, and they know their sh*t, unlike all the other people and especially, all the pet food companies who will tell you there's nothing wrong with byproducts because they've been "cleaned" which is just flat-out wrong. These companies also believe cats and dogs need high amounts of carbohydrates to store as energy for later which is also flat-out wrong, cats and dogs get their energy from the meat they eat, there is no storing involved, and when it does get stored, it just gets manufactured into sugar and thus fat that they waste away because of.

Now; dogs and cats will eat roadkill, but they should not be eating food that's comprised of euthanized dogs and cats, especially since the chemical used to euthanize does NOT deteriorate in heat during the cooking process.

Science Diet, Iams, and Purina are all horrible foods, with no quality to their ingredients whatsoever. The companies do not care about the health of the animals eating their food, they care only about getting ingredients for cheap and selling their products off to pet owners who don't know any better. The foods are inexpensive because they're inexpensive to make and jeopardize the health of your pet. The whole, "100% complete and balanced" is bullsh*t too, you wouldn't feed your child the same food every day, you should not be feeding your pet the same food every day either; they were designed to eat varying sources of meat protein - cats don't hunt and find mice each and every day to eat, and dogs don't hunt and find chickens every day to eat. Feeding the same food, and thus, same protein source and grains(which they shouldn't be eating anyway), gives way to food allergies, and medical ailments such as kidney failure, liver failure, dehydration, and a list of others because the cat or dog's body begins refusing the ingredients in the food.

Purina, Iams, and Science Diet contain no nutrition suitable enough for carnivores to be eating it. Sorry, I'm sure I'll get h*ll for this but that's just how it is. If you don't believe me, do your own research, but first and foremost do not buy into what pet food companies say. Follow what people who have actually DONE the research say. A major study to look into is the Pottenger study; which tested two groups of cats, one fed on cooked meat, the other group fed on raw meat, and it details the medical ailments the cat fed on cooked meat experienced. And your average-day commercial pet food company like Iams, Purina, and Science Diet cook any meat in their products down. Food cooked beyond the temperature of I think...117 degrees starts losing nutrients, and I can assure you all the cooking that goes into baking kibble, and even canned meat reaches MUCH higher temperature than that. My cat puked 2 - 3 times a week on Purina, which I thought was normal, until I switched her to Natural Balance, and then to Wysong, and she hasn't puked once. Her dandruff is gone, she's no longer fat, and she looks half her age, and looks as if she visits the groomer at least once a week. My other cat, who had a much more iron-clad stomach, didn't puke once on Purina, but she had massive amounts of dandruff and was ill-tempered. When I switched her to Natural Balance, and then to Wysong, she lost the dandruff, her fat turned to pure muscle(can't even pick her up with one arm, you need two, she has that much muscle mass), and her temper has...well, she doesn't have a temper. Now she's the sweetest thing. But all the chemicals and preservatives and ingredients in pet food from companies like Purina, Science Diet and Iams, has a lot of ill-mannered and medically ill affects on cats and dogs. Natural Balance and Wysong I've both had amazing luck with; I only switched them off of Natural Balance because the one cat is not spayed, and requires high caloric food, and the only high caloric food Natural Balance has is chicken-based, which the cat is allergic to thanks to feeding her the same food day in and day out.

I will post the source to the holistic veterinarian of whom I speak; generally I don't buy into veterinarian mumbo jumbo, because veterinarians are not nutritionists and most will support the big name-brand companies because they fund their veterinarian schools. There are only a few veterinarians out there who won't fall into the pet industry's hands, and find other, and in my opinion, more honest ways for funding. Veterinarians KNOW what meat byproducts are and how bad they are, but they are more concerned with funding from these big name-brands and as far I'm concerned, there is no right reason to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyBv2wA8tU

ImADogLover - you may think your dogs aren't having any problems, but there's probably medical issues dwelling inside them that have yet to make a physical show. Dogs and cats, and all domesticated critters are still very good at hiding illness.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 06-30-2010 at 05:03 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:11 PM

I've had very good luck with Paul Newmans Own Organic Dog Food. I used to feed premiums like California Naturals Allergy Formula, but found that with Newmans Own Dog Food, I don't seem to get the allergic reactions. Go to Newmans Own web site and click on Pet Food. It will give you a list of ingredients in PDF, along with why they use the ingredients.

I'm 62, out of work right now and barely making it...but I actually save money on organic as Zac doesn't need as much food and the vet bills are a lot less.

Just a thought. I'm new here and don't want to be misunderstood. I'm not trying to push any brand, but agree with @Flickering Hope about SD, Iams and Purina. Their advertising says one thing, but truth in labeling says another.

Steve Benedict

"Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job." ~Franklin P. Jones

Tags
dog food