Dog food help... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Dog food help...

Hey guys. I need some help on a new dog food. I have a Great Dane and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

They're both on Three Dog Bakery reduced calorie brand dog food, which only comes in chicken. I recently found out my spaniel is allergic to chicken in large doses, so I need a new brand of dog food.

Does anyone know of any preservative-free, holistic or otherwise really healthy dog food brands available? It just needs to be chicken and preferably corn free. Do they even make corn-free foods? I'm not sure where to look so I figure here would be the best place to start. Oh and also, I would prefer if it wasn't one of those that was on the list during the pet food crisis. My dogs were on Nutro Natural Choice but both got extremely ill during the crisis, so I would rather not go through that again. You can never be too safe.

Last thing, right now I'm spending $70 about every 3 weeks on 45 lbs of food. Something a little bit more wallet-friendly would make me very happy =).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I was feeding avoderm lamb to my dogs..its like 30 a bag for 45 pounds...its a very good food...we switched to chicken soup for the dog lovers soul because my dogs needed a bigger kibble...everywhere I go people love Avoderm though

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

www.dogfoodproject.com
www.ourdogsonline.com
www.betterdogcare.com

you have several choices.

Innova EVO red meat grain free
Wellness CORE ocean
Solid Gold- Barking at the moon, Hunden Flocken, Mmelinnia, or Wolf King
Nature's Variety is grain free
Orijen has a grain free too
California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

I feed Nature's Variety is grain free to my dog it's good on my wallet and my dog loves it. It's about $70 CAD after tax for the Duck and turkey for th largest bag. Its cheapper for chicken thou. All so the manufacture has frequent buyer cards every 11 bag is free!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kyo &
Krypto
1 poodle - Kitty
1 Mini Dachshund - Ivy

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll definitely check those out.

I asked some friends earlier today if they could help me find some new dog foods. We came up with three brands that are corn-free and use lamb; Lick Your Chops, California Natural and Wellness. What are your opinions on those?

I'm going to put my doggie back on lamb. She seemed to do best while on a lamb diet than on anything else.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:06 AM

Have you ever considered the B.A.R.F. diet? Or an essentially raw diet?
Here's some links:
http://www.barfworld.com/

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://www.outoftheearth.com/natdiet.htm
Just a thought I have fed raw for several years now and have seen MANY benefits. Dogs are actually biological carnivores they are not supposed to have ANY grain, or vegetable protein. I don't think there are many completely corn free dog foods out there, and if you do find one it would probablly cost even more than feeding raw. If you need any more info feel free to ask. And good luck whatever you decide!

Tags
cavalier king charles, cavalier king charles spaniel, chicken soup, dog food, king charles spaniel, nutro natural choice, pet food