Dog gas problems :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Dog gas problems :(

My friend says she needs a solution to her dog's gas problems. She's a 2 year old american bulldog. My friend, Ashley, feeds her a mix of rice, half a can of wet dog food, and mixes an amount of dry food in as well.

But this dog is always farting. I don't know anyone else who owns a dog of the same breed, but I've never met a dog with such smelly farts before, either! I know it must be somewhat normal, because humans fart too. But it's constant with this dog. Any suggestions, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM

i haven't encounter a farting dog... well i noticed that there are some result for that.. this might help: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Leo

What kind (brand) of food is she feeding?
Does she feed the same thing everyday or does she change brands and formulas? Certain brands of dog food produce more gas than others.

Some breeds are more likely to pass gas than others... my BIL's Rott and his English Mastiffs are big time wind breakers, but I also think it has a lot to do with them choosing to feed using the "whatever is on sale" method (*shudder*) along with their thinking that their food needs to be mixed up a bit, because they must be getting bored with their food.

Dogs do not need their foods switched to mix up flavors (this is a human thing, putting our own emotions on our dogs, thinking they need to taste different stuff, when in reality they don't**)... with dogs it is best to find what works (brand and formula) and stick with it. Changing brands and even different formulas can actually cause major intestinal upset and could explain excess gas (or other bathroom issues).... with my guys when changing food I always do it very slowly over about a month long period of time, to avoid intestinal discomfort. I feed my guys the same thing every day, and my dogs rarely fart.

I would also recommend feeding a large chested dog like an American Bulldog at an elevated level... it could help with the gas as well as being a good preventative against bloat.

I recommend calling the vet and asking them for a food recommendation. If the excess gas has just started happening and she hasn't switched brands, a checkup may be in order.

(**note: this is based upon feeding commercially prepared dog food)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I would think its prolly the way shes feeding it.. Also all the soft foods prolly arent very good for its teeth. I would suggest putting the dog on a dry food only diet for a little bit and see if that makes any difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family

Tags
dog food, dry food