Dog Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

For the past several months, my 9 year old Chow/Sheppard hind legs have been shaking. He is no pain and in fact still acts like a pup. He is able to run, jump and play non-stop. In doing some research I found that Temarli-P causes this, and since he was on it I took him to another vet based on some advice. The "new" vet was very upset that a vet had allowed a dog to stay on Temaril-P for longer then one-week. He had been on it for six months.

The vets thought process was get him off of the Temaril-P and see what happens. Well, it has been three weeks and no improvement. Blood tests have been conducted ruling out thyroid, blood disorders etc. The vet would like to take x-rays of his hips, spine and knees. I am worried about putting him under so they can take the x-rays.

I guess my question is, has anyone on the board had a dog with these symptoms and if so, what was the outcome. Also, what should I expect after "Solomon" goes through being put under?

Thanks in advance.
Brian
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:25 PM

It's likely his hips. He's an older dog, crossed between one breed that has a rather unusual hip/pelvic structure with a variety prone to having their hips and sockets degenerate with time. You really should have him x-rayed and thoroughly checked...your vet will be able to fill you in on all the options.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 PM

It really could be any number of things. I would take the baby to the vet and have it checked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Make Sure Its Not Arthritis...my Mother In-laws Shepherds Have Arthritis....good Luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my pops dog had something that sounds like this, for about 6 months her hind legs were shakey and her balance due to it was a little off, the vet had no clue what could be causing it, so we took her to another vet and they found spurs all over her backbone, it was bad, they couldn't remove them, so she took pain pills and walked everyday with my pop in his orchard...one day my pop was out there with her, and sat down under a tree cause it was hot, TwoTwo cuddled on his lap and then she shuttered and was gone...

I am not in any way saying this is what was wrong, I am only saying that if the vets want to look deeper let them, its scary, but it could be something bad and early detection could save the dog

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM

This sounds like what started happening with our shepherd.. she started getting wobbly and shakey in her hind legs but could still run around and play fine (most of the time) and it got worse and worse over time.. she ended up being diagnosed with hip dysplasia at the young age of 4. She got to the point where she couldn't walk on anything but carpet anymore because she would constantly slip and fall.. it was very difficult to watch and we ended up putting her to sleep eventually because she couldn't live a happy healthy life anymore (she couldn't play with our other dog, couldn't go for walks, could barely make it to her food bowl)
Like the others have said it could be a lot of different things, but since he has shepherd in him and they are prone to hip issues I would get the x-rays and total exam done as quickly as possible to pinpoint exactly what the problem is and hopefully have it diagnosed early enough for a cure. Please keep us posted

Tags
food bowl, hind legs, hip dysplasia, older dog