Dog reluctant to sleep in crate. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Dog reluctant to sleep in crate.

My 10 year-old Lab has been reluctant to sleep in his crate. He'll go in and bark for five to ten minutes and then go to sleep but at about three or four in the morning he'll start barking again. My husband and I both work and sometime we have to be to work very early so he's being incredibly disruptive to our sleep.

Earlier I noticed him whining/crying while he was trying to clean himself, so I tried to take a look and he yelped when I touched his back paw. So I rubbed his belly and tried to keep him distracted while I checked his feet. I couldn't find anything. He doesn't seem to have broken it, there are no burrs from the yard, it don't look like he pulled anything. He still walks on it just fine.

My husband suggested that because of his age we might be seeing signs of Arthritis. Is that possible? Is the bottom of the crate bothering him because he's uncomfortable? Should I put in a towel or light blanket for him? Has anyone else had experience with this?

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I am allergic to maths

Authritis doesnt start hurting at a certian time so maybe he is just to energetic, you could let him stay up later, give him extra long walks or let him run around in the garden for 1-2 hours to tire him out, this should help get him and you to get a full nights sleep. As for him being in pain, wouldnt authiritis swell up? It is possible for them to get it though, the only other thing I can think of is maybe he banged it. Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If he is uncomfortable in there could be why he is barking, putting a dog bed could help

if he doesn't always bark or cry when you touch his foot it may have been sleeping and at that pins and needles stage when you touched it.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If he's 10 years old, I'd definitely suggest a nice cushy dog bed for him to sleep on. I wouldn't want to sleep on a hard crate bottom.

You might also make a check-up appointment at your vet, to rule out any problems such as joint or arthritis issues. If he is having problems, they can probably get him some medication to make him more comfortable.

Stephanie

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I put an old towel on the floor of his crate and he's now sleeping through the whole night! We can't get a cushy dog bed for him because our puppy believes that anything with stuffing should be dismantled until it's not longer a threat. If he get uncomfortable on the towel after too long we'll get a fleece blanket for him to sleep on.

Thanks for the advice.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito

Tags
arthritis., barking, crate training, labrador, sleeping