Dog survivor of Parvo... but now obsessed with water - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dog survivor of Parvo... but now obsessed with water

Hello, My boyfriend treated his yellow lab (Logan) with Parvo when he was 4 weeks old. Logan is now 5 months and is as spunky and wild as ever. He is such a joy to be around and has no more symptoms of Parvo. The problem is... Logan is OBSESSED with water. He will drink and drink until there is no water left. He literally does not know when to stop his intake. He would try to drink a whole bath tube of water if he could. When it is raining out... it is so difficult to get him to do his thing outside because he just licks the grass with the water. I told my boyfriend to get him checked out because I read he could have kidney problems. He thinks Logan is obsessed with water because he suffered from Parvo as a pup... and parvo dehydrates the body. Has anyone else had this issue where their dog had parvo and then he/she became addicted to water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

sounds like a vet visit is needed. that is not normal in anyway at all.
the dog could suffer from water intoxication also, so its not good to let him drink that much water. water intoxication can kill!
there is no doubt in my mind that dog needs to see a vet! if its not a health issues it might be a mental health issues. dogs develop OCD like people do.
such as, dog chasing tail all of the time, constant barking, shadow chasing, etc etc etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I wonder...our dog here..(well, not mine, but my fiance's mother's), kinda does that too. She can't have water down 24/7, because, according to my fiance's mother, "She'll make herself sick with all the water she would drink". So when she's thirsty, she has to ask for it(by doing her doggie thing and spinning around in a circle and looking at me, and then her water bowl), and then she can only have half of a bowl. And she won't drink stale water(but that's probably her just being particular). But she doesn't act nearly as obsessed about it as your boyfriend's dog does. I'd agree, he probably does need to see a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Newborn Pup

I agree that a vet visit is in order. If you can rule out a medical condition causing your dog to drink so much, then start looking for a trainer that can help get rid of your dog's obsession.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That behavior surely indicates some health issue on him, hope your bf immediately take a vet appointment. There will be a chance that he might drink a bad water that could worsen the situation.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks everyone. He took him to the vet yesterday and they did a urine test and everything came back okay. We find out the results of the blood test tomorrow.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

any news?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Playful Pup

Yes, check Logan for diabetes or thryoid troubles

Logan could have OCD - obcessive compulsive - habit or the beginings of diabetes or thryoid inbalance.
Call the vet for some blood work.
*to rule out a medical problem

Let us know what happens.

Marie Peppers

Hi - If you need help with home-cooking dog /cat food recipes - I can help: Also, NuVET supplements..
Just ask -

Want a sample of the NuVET allergy blaster?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Everything okay

So the blood work came back and they said everything is fine with him. I'm a little confused because I've never seen a dog act like this with water, but I guess the tests speak the truth. We are moderating his intake of water. Thanks for all your replies!

Tags
dog obsessed water, drink too much water, parvo, parvo aftermath, post parvo