Dog Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Dog Training

Would like to get into dog training, but there are no good dog trainers locally. I was curious whether anyone had any suggestions. I have bought a few books including a dog training book for myself for Christmas :p but i not long ago bought "Culture Clash" which i've just started to read which is OK so far but it's had good reviews.

I would like to try the basics with someone and dogs, i do own a dog (CKCS) but she isn't in the mood most of the time to do training... she's a spoilt girl lol.

Just wondered whether anyone had any advice on what i could do.

Thanks,

ae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Train your Cavalier. It's the dogs that challenge us that make us better trainers.

Visit Sue Ailsby's site on clicker training (http://www.dragonflyllama.com). Read Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog". Join training forums and read and learn. Join a local dog club and train with them - maybe start teaching with them.

You won't learn just by reading. Your Cav will teach you tons, and you will never quit learning.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, for replying . My CKCS is 5 years old now and i have taught her some basics like Sit, Stay, Lie Down, Speak, Shake your Paw and Rollover. But she can be very stubborn, as for clubs or classes, there aren't many around and those that are around aren't very good from what i've been told.

Are there any Dog Training Forum that you can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:18 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

http://www.obedienceuk.com/

There is a UK based Website. I don't know if its any good or not, or how friendly, but there is forum links on the left hand side you might take a peek at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, i'll check the link out now

Tags
clicker training, dog training