dog won't poo outside - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Angry dog won't poo outside

I have a 5 month old schipperke who I'm desperatley trying to potty train. He's getting better with urinating outside and going to the door when he needs to go, but he won't poop! He'll never do both jobs at once. He always poops inside. Even when I catch him starting to squat, I'll take him outside and he won't do anything, so we'll go back inside and I'll watch and wait until he starts sniffing around again, take him back out, and he just stands there. This will go on for hours until I take my eye off him for just a few seconds, and whammo, there's poop on the floor. I don't know what to do, I even put him in his crate, but he flat out REFUSES to poop outside. What is wrong with him! Help! I can't stand it anymore! He's pooped outside maybe 2 times this last week! That's it! HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:04 AM

Do you walk him or just put him in the garden?
Maybe if you walk him a lot he might forget about it and do it anyway
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My sheltie was the same way.

He started to "get the idea," though, when we would take him on walks where other dogs had pooed AND we would put his poo outside in the grass after he had an accident in the house.

Also, no matter HOW LONG it takes, DO NOT go back inside until he has pooed! It doesn't matter if you're out there for 2 hours--it's a battle of wills and this is one battle you can't afford to lose. Stay outside until he potties. And, don't forget to lavish him with praise when he DOES potty outside!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 AM

My puppy likes to sniff his own poo when he poos so it was a good idea to place his poo outside
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

I'll take him for walks when I think he has to poo, and sometimes he'll go. My husband and I also try to get him all riled up and run around with him, I've heard exercise helps the urge to go. That's a great idea to put his poo outside too. I'll try that. But he DID go poo outside this morning!!!!! Yeay!! Thanks for your replies!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 03:10 PM

I agree with pihlaja. I had a little bit of a problem with that when I first brought my puppy home. I use the phrase :Hurry up go pottie" every couple of minutes and for me it seemed to work becuase she relates that to the outside now. You have to outlast them being outside. They eventually have to go and will, it's just a matter of time. After she goes outside a few days in a row hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.
The walk I take my dog Dyna on really help her mentally and physically!! She gets 2 to 3 good walks a day. She loves to see what is going on in the neighborhood.
Good luck and hang in there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 03:55 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that puppies will poop anywhere from 5 mins to 1 hour after they've eaten. Watch and see how long your doggie takes and then be sure to let him outside at that time after he's eaten.

Taking the poo outside is a great idea!

Here's a link to some great articles on puppies: PT Dog Articles

Good luck to you!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

my dog is an odd one i think

I keep reading that puppies have to poo anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour after eating. My dog doesn't seem to fit this standard. He poos anywhere from 2-12 hours after eating. He seriously doesn't seem to have any kind of schedule. Things seem to be getting better though, he has pooed outside a few times now, we haven't been cleaning up as much off the floor as we used to.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I know how you feel . My dachshund is the same way! I'm working on it and he seems to have gotten a bit better but it still happens every couple of weeks...Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My Mandy refused to poop outside, she wanted to poop in the basement. Something about the cement floor I guess? I don't know her background as she was found in a dumpster, taken to a shelter and into my house within two days.
I did like some of the others said, I lived outside! Neighbors probably thought my butt was attached to my lawn chair!
Eventually Mandy 'had' to go outside and we remedied the problem in just a couple weeks. Good luck!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 03:10 AM

My dog refuses to poop outside too for some reason. We could even spend the whole day outside at the dog park or something, and he'll hold it in until we get home and run and poop. Now my 19 month old daughter thinks its ok to take off her diaper and poop on the floor because the doggie does it

Last edited by jcookie1982; 05-04-2005 at 03:12 AM.

Tags
dog park, potty train