Dogbert's Accident :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dogbert's Accident :(

Dogbert (my 1 1/2 year old Lhasa Apso male) had a potty accident the other morning.

I didn't get him outside in time, and he peed on the floor.....

I caught him in the act *unfortunatly* and had to punish him.

I feel SOOOO bad since it was all my fault for not getting him out the door in time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Just curious, if it was YOUR fault then why did you punish him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I was going to ask the same question as Scarlette....

If you know it was your fault - you should punish yourself - not the puppy. Why did you punish the puppy?

What "punishment" did you impose on him?

It's perfectly normal for a puppy to not have full control over his bladder/bowel function for up to 1 year in some breeds. If the dog has no other option, it's going to go eventually.... It's our responsibility to make sure the dog is set up to succeed, that is how they learn. We can't always be perfect and mistakes happen...
when they do and we know we were at fault, ignoring it is better than negative reinforcement... then *we* learn how to set up situations where the chance of it happening again are lessened.

Positive reinforcement and Praise are the way I train...
JMO

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

he just gets scolded....

As mentioned before my dog is a tough case, his trainer is working on getting him back within his boundries.... these things he does out of spite, urinating on the floor if I don't Jump up and run him outisde immediatly....He attacks me when I come home from work... bites when he's being groomed.....
Most people would have had him put to sleep by now...or pawned him off on another unsuspecting owner, but he's in a program to re-establish boundries....
He had to be scolded for urinating out of impatiance because it is not ok...
we're not talking about me sitting there for 20 minutes while having a cup of coffee while he stood by the door...
He walked up to me, and asked to go out, and I put my shoes on, and grabbed a bag, when I turned around, he was in mid-stream....
very stubborn dog.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I don't blame you for scolding him. He's old enough that by now he should be pretty darn housebroken.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
I don't blame you for scolding him. He's old enough that by now he should be pretty darn housebroken.
He is perfectly housebroken... this is only the second urination accident he's had... and he pooped twice too....

One poop was from Diareah, when we switched him to Iams wet from Eukunuba wet *he got sick of the single flavor*

He's a very easily trained dog.... he just has the aggression deal, and his urination accident the other day was a product of that.

Silly dog, I love him, but sometimes I wanna ring his fuzzy little neck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

well, i don't blame you for correcting him. however!, remember that NO dog understands spite. They can't comprehend that. he may be testing his boundaries, but he's not thinking, "ok, here comes mom/dad...let me pee cause they make me mad."

but good job at getting dogbert help.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Exotica I'm going to stay right our of the potty incident but I just wanted to say that I'm glad you are getting dobert help! I remember your situation and it takes a strong willed person to be doing what you are doing! I hope it all turns out for you!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i do 2nd that - you are a good person to get him help.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

A lot of the advice that I got concerning his aggression issue was "put him down immediatly before he hurts someone"

I also had a "dog trainer" tell me that any dog who is crazy enough to bite at an owner when being corrected should be put to sleep immediatly, if not taken out and shot on the spot for it, so he knows it was a result of his action."

who are these people and where do they come from?

Tags
lhasa apso