Doggie Massage Therapy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Doggie Massage Therapy

I try to give my dogs massages at least once a week. By massage I mean a true deep muscle massage like you would pay mega bucks for at a spa. My dogs now back up to me hoping I will rub their back, much like my husband. They absolutely love it. I can actually feel them pressing up as I push down on their backs along their spine. Does anyone else do this? I was wondering if anyone had any info on pet massage therapy or maybe even acupressure. This may sound silly to some I guess but my dogs don't really like to do much. Yes I have the two most boring dogs in the world. This is important for us because they really enjoy it and gives us lots of one on one time together. I just want to make sure I am doing it right and can make the most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well we massage my mum's dogs legs for her all the time and she is in heaven when we do it!! I have no advice or tips just wanted to let you know your not the only one! However my own personal massage therapist told me that you can't really hurt anyone (or thing) by massaging their muscles cause it is just muscle manipulation after all and as long as your not trying any great tricks on them and pretending to be atherapist then it's generally ok! so if they like it keep doing what you're doing!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:14 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I don't have any info or anything on it...but I give my doggies massages all the time. Snooper especially seems to like her neck and front legs done.

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I give Jack and Max doggie massages all the time! They love, love, love it - like Dena said, they actually back up into my hands!
I'd read an article - gosh I forgot where - it was a while ago. I started doing it regularly. They actually go into a trance! I try to do it almost the way I would give a back massage to a person...
massage the muscles rubbing away from the spine.

I read it was very good for them, plus it deepens the bond between you ... mine sure seem happy when I do it!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I read something about a cirlcle motion starting out small and then widening the circle larger and larger. Does that help?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I have found a few things about it but mostly listings for pet massage therapists. The best advice was listen to the animal if they like it then keep doing it, if they don't stop. So I guess I will just continue to do what I'm doing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I give Har and Max massages too! Ha ha...Josh always thinks I am a weirdo, but oh well!! They like it!