Doggy Aggression :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Doggy Aggression :(

I'm getting to the end of my rope with my unaltered male dog.
He HATES ME!

The poor thing growls every time I get home from work, most dogs greet their owners with a wagging tail, I get a growl, and if I move too quickly, I get bit! The dog doesn't want me on the sofa, If I pet him, he tries to bite me, picking him up surely gets me bit.

I'm getting ready to have him nutered, and then we're putting him through training at PetsMart, after that.... I don't know....if nothing works on him, we may have to put him to a rescue, I love my dog very much, but I am not going to have a dangerous animal that I cannot controll in my home. Besides, it doesn't do much for your self esteem when your own dog hates you. *shrug* I can't help but to wonder if he'd be happier with another owner. Must not have been the dog that was ment for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok don't get too disheartend yet! First off we need some more info. What breed is your dog?
How old is your dog?
How long have you had him for?
What has he been allowed to do so far? (sit on the lounge, get on the bed, run the whole house etc.)
What former training has your dog had?
How long has you dog been growling at you for?
how is your dog trained? (clicker, check chain etc.)
Is your dog crate trained?
Your dog thinks it is top dog! You are going to have to start and be firm and re-train your dog so that he knows you are the top dog! Neutering will help but you definently need to re-train too.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He is a 1 1/2 yr old Male Lhasa Apso, rescued from a family that left him crated 24/7. He wasn't a dog in that sense, more like some sort of caged rabbit for the first whole year of his life. We got him in December, he was the PERFECT dog back then. Smart little guy too, he learned all of his tricks; sit, stay, come, dance, shake, high 5, play dead... he knows it all
In March I took the job at PetsMart. After that, the dog just went nuts on me. He LOVES my boyfriend who lives with us, but won't let me pet or hold him. Like I said, he won't even let me in the door anymore. I don't know if he feels abandoned, or if he feels as if I'm the lower member of the pack now, because he's the only one here all day or what.

We've since restricted him from sleeping in the bedroom with us, no more bedroom now, he's not the alpha male, and doesn't get to sleep in there. He also isn't allowed in the kitchen when we eat, and he gets fed after we eat, I was told that this will also throw him down a knotch, since in "pack behavior" the lower dog eats last.
When he growls at me, we've started blowing a whistle, because this distracts him, and he stops growling, it re-directs his attention momentarily, and he sort of forgets he was angry. We're using food as a positive reward for allowing me to walk through doors, and allowing me to pet him... eventually i'm sure we'll get this worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Exotica sounds like you are doing great! Have you tried giving him a time out if he growls at you....so if he growls at you get your b/f to put shut him in another room for five minutes and you can also tell him a firm no when he does it so you have input too (I just don't want you to get bitten)
Is he able to be crated or not with his past? re-introducing the crate may be handy if not too traumatising for him.
Let me think.....there will be many different ways but you are on the right track that's for sure! Doe she only growl and snap at you after work? It might be the smells you bring home that bother him more than you.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

at first it was only after work, if I changed, he'd stop....now it's all the time he growls..... It may origionally have been the fact that I left him by himself (to go to work) and came home smelling like other boy dogs !
Today...he spent 7 hours in the crate..... while we were sleeping... he does OK with the crate, he suffers Kennel Fright sometimes... if you look at him, while he's in his cage....he flips out, starts barking like a mad dog, and attacking the walls of the crate.... he's insane.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Proud New Mommy

When you said he was basically left behind by his humans... He may not trust people. But you said he loves your boyfriend..hmm..

Maybe when you went to work at PetSmart.. He noticed you weren't home with him 24/7.. You chose to leave him home and come back with OTHER dog smells on you. Maybe he's quite jealous and misses his old mommy.

It does sound like you are doing all of the right things with him.. I hope he comes around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Newborn Pup

In my experience with dogs, I think what most likely happened is that your dog views thw boyfriend as alpha now, and not you. When the boyfriend moved in, and you started going to work, something must have been hapening which has caused this dog to view your boyfriend as alpha, and you as being beloweven himself. Who does most of the training? It is important that both you and your boyfriend work with this dog equally. Will he crate? If not, set up a room that is devoid of any kind of reward, such as toys or food. If the dog misbehaves, put him in this room, on in his crate, for a time out. After a while, let him come out, but only if he does not growl or misbehave. Do not give him ANYTHING unless he does something for you first. Take away all his food and toys, don't leave any of it lying around where the dog can get it whenever he wants. He is allowed the items only if you let him have them, and onlt if he does something first, such as sitting and staying. Another helpful thing would be to to feed him his food from your hand instead of just putting it in his dish and walking away. I hope this all helps.

~Seij

Tags
crate trained, lhasa apso