Doggy Heimlich - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exclamation Doggy Heimlich

I just wanted to post and make sure folks know how to do the heimlich on their dogs. Thankfully, I researched it ages ago when I worked at the vet after a client's dog choked and died as a result. I have never truly needed it, but I did about 45 minutes ago.

Creole was eating his breakfast and suddenly couldn't breathe. He was trying very hard to force the food up and got one piece up, but it wasn't working for the other piece and you could see he was starting to panic and wasn't moving any air. I wound up doing the dog version of the heimlich on him combined with some hard thumps to the chest and between his shoulder blades, and thankfully it worked. The piece of food came flying out (which he promptly proceeded to eat!). I didn't do it exactly as this demonstrates as I didn't have time to think properly, but the thrusting and the location were the same.

http://www.berner.org/pages/dogcpr.pdf - Excellent printable sheet
http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-magazi...-heimlich.aspx
http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/..._maneuvers.htm (#3 on this page is what I wound up doing)
Quote:
Heimlich Maneuver - Type 1
1. Lay the animal on its side.
2. Put one hand on its spine and the other hand n its belly.
3. With the hand on belly , push inward and upward with quick short motions.
4. Look in mouth for object and remove.
Heimlich Maneuver - Type 2
1. Lift the animal off the ground and hold it vertically (head up and spine against your chest.)
2. With arms around belly push inward and upward with quick short motions.
3. Check mouth for object and remove.
Heimlich Maneuver - Type 3
1. Kneel behind the standing animal
2. Place hands under belly just below the rib cage.
3. Push inward and upward with quick, short motions.
4. check mouth and remove any object.
I happened to be right there and caught it before he was in a very serious state, but this is very valuable information all pet owners should know.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jade; 06-17-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Part of the Pack

Yes, yes it is.

~Ren~
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

Rags- Blue Healer/Border Collie Mix

Nelix- Yellow Lab Mix

Tippy- Black and White Fancy Rat

Fredi- Tan and White Fancy Rat

RIP- Aggie, Dorito