Doggy self mutilation??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Question Doggy self mutilation???

Hey all, I've yet to post pics of my babies but I will soon.

However, I am really concerned about my Pekingese (Sugar). When he is left alone he chews on himself until the skin is broken, bloody, and raw. We have a pom (Elvis) as well, so our Sugar is seldom alone, but on the rare occasion that he is, we come home to a very unhappy sore little puppy.

We have tried everything from giving him his favorite toy, spraying bitters on him, even leaving the tv on. His vet said he self-mutilates due to separation anxiety....any ideas? We've tried everything we know to try.

Thanks in advance!
-Jaxcutie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Leo

I would ask your vet who he recommends as an animal behaviorist.

OR

The University of Florida Veterinary College (go Gators!) is just a little over an hour southwest of where it says you are located... I would call their clinic and see if they are having any studies on separation anxiety or animal behavioral studies that your dog could be a part of.... if they don't ask if they know of an animal behaviorist with a good track record they can/will recommend (UF Veterinary College).

A good animal behaviorist that understand the science of dogs as well as animal behaviors is going to be your best bet in learning how to stop this type of behavior.

In the meantime I would not leave Sugar home without Elvis...if Elvis has to go somewhere then I would take Sugar with as well or leave a person home with him.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Leo; 03-18-2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added link
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Hello Earthling

You could also get someone to come in during the day to play with both of them and walk them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my grandparents dog used to do that when she was young, the vet gave her a very very mild sedative for when she had to be alone, and she would sleep through it, now if they leave she climbs in her bed for a nap lol no more meds or anything...its so hard to find the right trigger for every dog...I had a poodle who chewed on herself when alone and turned out she had skin alergies and only chewed when we were gone because people would always play with her or tell her to stop if she licked herself overly much or anything, benedryl cleared it up for her...I hope you find out what it is, the poor sweety must be miserable

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
my grandparents dog used to do that when she was young, the vet gave her a very very mild sedative for when she had to be alone, and she would sleep through it, now if they leave she climbs in her bed for a nap lol no more meds or anything...its so hard to find the right trigger for every dog...I had a poodle who chewed on herself when alone and turned out she had skin alergies and only chewed when we were gone because people would always play with her or tell her to stop if she licked herself overly much or anything, benedryl cleared it up for her...I hope you find out what it is, the poor sweety must be miserable
These are all good things to check out! I would have never thought about the allergies, but that makes sense.

Have you also tried leaving your dog alone for very short periods of time and seeing if that makes stuff better? You could increase the alone time progressively. I figured you had already tried, but I wanted to make sure.

I've found that giving pills to my dogs is really easy. If you end up getting sedatives or whatever, wrap them with peanut butter. It never fails! I taught my old dachshund to roll over for his pill before his dinner. So when we wanted dinner he would start rolling around and looking at me saying, "gimmie my pill!"

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the ideas. Typically Sugar is never left alone without Elvis, but Elvis was at the vet yesterday and all night last night. My husband and I brought him to work with us, but he still chewed on himself. As soon as Elvis came home today though, he was fine. The only times he's EVER alone is if Elvis goes to the vet. I dont' think the attachment issue is to myself or hubby, but to Elvis. Oh well, lets just hope we don't have to go to the vet again soon.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 AM

My puppy, Rags used to freak out when we left him alone. He'd cry and whine and scratch, even if I left him in the hall when I went to the bathroom. My trainer suggested leaving for very short periods of time, starting with going into the bathroom. I'd go into another room for five seconds, then then thirty, etc. if he whined I'd open the door and come out and reassure him if he didn't whine during the allotted time he'd get a treat and lots of praise. Now he's home in his crate all day while I'm at work and he's fine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Newborn Pup

I have found lavender to be very soothing to dogs (and people actually). I know it sounds strange...and I'm not into crystals or anything like that...but try a bit of lavender essential oil in a spray bottle with some water and spritz his bed or blanket. Maybe it will help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You definitely need a behaviorist advice. And Leo's suggestion for Florida Veterinary College I think would be a great for you and them.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
self-mutilation, seperation anxiety