Dog's bad breath - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Dog's bad breath

I found that my dog has bad yellowing on the upper parts of some of her teeth and black lines right by the gumline. What all does a vet do to fix this? I have set up an appointment for my dog, but was curious what a vet does to help the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

they will clean what teeth they can save and remove the others, my boyfriends dog had to have 4 removed because they were so bad...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 PM

yes, a vet can anesthetize the dog and perform what's called a "dental" which is basically the same as a general cleaning for a human, with scraping and polishing. And they will pull any teeth that look problematic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:45 PM

That's right. Sounds like a dental is needed. Basically done under anethesia and they will scrape and polish just like when we go to the dentist. They will pull what needs to be pulled and make notes as to ones that may need to be watched. Usually they will send you home with antibiotics and a mouth rinse (which I always suggest they do either in the bath tub or outside because the rinse goes everywhere ) Check with your vet. I know around here, the month of February is Dental Month and you receive 20% off the cleaning and anethesia. Your dogs and cats really should have annual dental cleanings starting at age 2-3 years old. Getting them done during a dental month is great with the discounts and tax returns