Dog's Eating Habits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Do your dogs take their food away from their bowl to eat it??
Yes 9 31.03%
No 9 31.03%
Some of my dogs do 8 27.59%
Jodi just has a wierd doggie family 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Dog's Eating Habits

Do your dogs eat their food at their bowl? Or do they walk away with their food? Do you know what I mean?? Snooper and Tito take one little piece of dog food and walk 5 feet away to eat it. Manto takes a big ol mouthful, walks 5 feet away. Drops it all on the floor and then eats it up. Dork.

Bach (my GSD that passed away) never did this, he ate like a *normal* dog.

Ok, so are my dogs the only wierd ones out there?? Do your dogs do this??

~ Jodi ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My older Jack Russell does. I never understood why mom chose to feed him on carpet when he does this. The others just eat right at their bowl.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Newborn Pup

Same here

our golden takes a mouth full and drops it to eat and this is where my problem with feed my toy poodle because he eats what the golden drops. before we got the poodle we found dog food all over the place at least now the poodle eats it. But I am sure the 5 month old toy poodle shouldn't eat the adult large breed food??? Both dogs are nibblers I would really have a job on my hands to feed separatly once or twice a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

haha! mine do this, but they take it about 1 foot away. penny is so funny, though, because sometimes she will take ONE little bitty piece of food and go to another room with it and put it on the floor and try to bury it with her nose. ONE piece. i have to just make her eat it by acting like i'm gonna take it from her! haha! she's always tried to bury food or her food bowl with her nose.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I voted "no" because ours don't do that, however we have had foster's in the past that have done that.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My red Doberman, Scarlette, will tip her bowl over and then eat her food. She does try to bury it on occasion. Riley will eat out of the dish but when she's in a wild mood she will pick her bowl up and run through the house scattering dog food everywhere!

Rhonda

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My Mandy and Lacey both eat at the bowl but I voted that some of my dogs do because before Lacey will eat she takes a few pieces, then a few more about 5 ft. from the bowl for Mandy to eat so she won't bother her!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Alright, who voted that I have a wierd doggie family??

~ Jodi ~

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Gumbo did it initially but has since gotten better at eating at the bowl.

Stephanie

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Orion takes a big mouthful of food, brings it into the living room, eats it, and then walks over to the closest person to wipe the mush from his lips onto you leg. Then he goes back for another mouthful and repeats the process.

Kali usually eats right at the bowl but sometimes brings a mouthful to the livingroom, drops it and then eats it. (she never wipes her lips on us though )

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Can someone add a new option?

"My dog used to take his food away from his bowl to eat it."

When I first got my ACD pup, Levi, he would grab a mouthful of food from his bowl, run off and partially hide to eat it. After he realized he had NO competition for his food, he stopped doing that. (I am guessing he had a hard time getting food in his litter. )

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Charlotte does that! I thought that since she was a stray before we got her, she did that cause she was used to eat from the floor. She takes a mouthful and drops in near her bowl... eats it and then takes another mouthful and drops it near the bowl...

Odie eats from his bowl, but likes to try and bury it with his nose usually scattering a few bits around. I tell him not to do that and he looks at me with a face that says "but mom, it'll go away!"

Dimaris

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Why not eliminate the bowl and put her food on the floor, Padfoot?

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Oh, but she has such a lovely bowl! Why waste it?

Dimaris

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

My old Black Lab that I had used to do that, it almost seemed as though, she was checking for contamination. And she didn't want to ru in what was left in her dish, if any of it was contaminated.

Tags
black lab, dog food, food bowl, jack russell, kitty litter