Dogs Enjoying the Spring Weather - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Talking Dogs Enjoying the Spring Weather

Here's some pictures of the boys enjoying the sunshine and spring weather!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Part of the Pack

Thats a lot of hair! They're beautiful. What breeds are they?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Kirby (the big white one) is a Samoyed and Seamus is a blue merle Shetland Sheepdog.

Yes, they DO have a lot of hair, ESPECIALLY Kirby! I'm not looking forward to summer because I know he's going to blow his coat late this year (blowing their coat is when they loose almost all of their underhair at once and it's a total mess). Last year he did it in April, but he still hasn't blown it yet because this spring has been a little colder than usual. So, it will probably happen in summer.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Playful Pup

Kirby and Seamus are both absolutely gorgeous. Gotta love those coats flowing in the sunshine.

- Pet Lovers Resource
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

they are well cute.
i love the colour blue on any animal, I think it is the best.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Newborn Pup

They're tooooooo pwettty awwww!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Miss New Booty

Aww they are too cute! And look at all that fur on Kirby!!! Oh my gosh, that has to be crazy when he sheds all his fur, Rowan!!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Part of the Pack

They are beautiful even with all that fur. I knew Kirby looked like a breed I've seen before. I had a neighbor who had one and they used to shave him for the spring. Have you every thought of that?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Jackie, it is crazy! I feel like there is fluffy snow covering the inside of the house when Kirby blows his coat.

Kirby also produces Fuzzy Tumbleweeds. I swear, no matter how much you vaccuum, if you move a piece of furniture or some other item, all of a sudden a little fuzzy ball goes rolling across the floor--like a tumbleweed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6496
They are beautiful even with all that fur. I knew Kirby looked like a breed I've seen before. I had a neighbor who had one and they used to shave him for the spring. Have you every thought of that?
I would NEVER shave a samoyed. A well-groomed samoyed coat protects the dog from the cold as well as the heat. Also, most samoyeds take over two years to grow their full adult coat--Kirby took almost four--and when you shave it, it completely destroys it. The hair will NEVER grow back the way it should. The outer hairs will be completely destroyed and will grow back soft like the underhair. Also, shaving the dog will expose the samoyed's pink skin to the sun, which can easily be sunburned.

Oi, sorry for the mini-rant. I just feel very strongly about that and it peeves me when I hear about people shaving a breed of dog that should NOT be shaved. Even if the dog is in a warm climate, it does more harm to SHAVE them than to groom regularly and provide adequate water and shade.

To me, it seems almost cruel to shave a breed that is famous for his coat. Kirby is quite proud of his mane and I know it would break his spirit if he were to be shaved.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Great pics, Seamus looks like my hubbys old dog Jake!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Naked Dog Mom

I've never seen that color Shetland Sheepdog before (but then again, most people have never seen a "bluie" corgi like Ein before). He's absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE his coloring.

I know blue Pembrokes are rare, are blue merle Shetlands also rare? My boyfriend loves Shetland Sheepdogs, and I also like them quite a bit. If we could find one that looks like yours (many years from now when we have a house of our own), I think we'd have our next dog. Assuming we could actually find one when the time comes, of course.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Kirby also produces Fuzzy Tumbleweeds. I swear, no matter how much you vaccuum, if you move a piece of furniture or some other item, all of a sudden a little fuzzy ball goes rolling across the floor--like a tumbleweed.
Awww LOL! Brad's other sister had 2 goldens, I know what you mean, it does look like that!!! I saw the little furballs floating on their tile floor before!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Part of the Pack

Your dogs are so cute.
I understand about shaving them. White fur animals are in more danger of getting sunburned and all that hair helps prevent that.

My babies...

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgimom
I know blue Pembrokes are rare, are blue merle Shetlands also rare? My boyfriend loves Shetland Sheepdogs, and I also like them quite a bit. If we could find one that looks like yours (many years from now when we have a house of our own), I think we'd have our next dog. Assuming we could actually find one when the time comes, of course.
They aren't that rare, but I think they vary from region to region. For example, northern Finland has mostly sable and tri-coloured shelties, but the southern regions in Turku and Helsinki have many breeders that like the blue merle colour, which means there are more of them available.

But, don't let anyone fool you into believing it's a "rare" colour so they can charge more--it's not rare, it's just not popular in some areas. And, if you decide on a blue merle, make sure the breeder you choose does not partake in merle-to-merle breeding. I did a post about it once and I'll drag it up for you to read later on today.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Here's the post: Double merle is just wrong.

Hope it's helpful.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Tags
food bowl