Dogs and Human Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dogs and Human Food

Do you feed your dog human food? We donít feed our dog table scraps for a few reasons. One: We donít want him to be rude during dinner time and beg. Two: He is allergic to grains and has a sensitive stomach so I never know what is ok to give him beyond his healthy pet foods.

I do like to give my dog a variety of pet foods though. I feel bad when I make a gourmet dinner and he has to smell the delicious scents- it would be mean not to let him partakeÖ So we actually give him little gourmet meals sometimes too and put them out when we sit at the table to eat. As I have mentioned before I am a huge Freshpet fan. They make these really neat ďcomplete mealsĒ, which are natural pet food products that our dog loves and are much easier for me to give him, rather than making pet food for him. He gets chicken, beef, egg, cranberries and spinach all in one package with one Freshpet Vital offering. Itís cool to mix it up with this kind of stuff sometimes- it makes me feel like I am feeding him a gourmet dinner too. J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Newborn Pup

yeah, we feed our dog the same food that we eat such as rice, meat, and even veggies for him to become stronger and experience different kinds of foods instead of always giving him dog foods
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM
canis lupus familiaris

What do you mean "human food?" Does it come in a bag saying "human food" and from a processing plant?

I feed my babies food. They are raw fed. Sometimes they eat junk or find some nibblets on the floor. The only time they eat any sort of pet "food" is when they are boarding.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Playful Pup

My cat loves cheetos and soda (is it counted as human food?), and every time my mom goes to grocery she has a pack of cheetos and soda for it. Is it dangerous for a 6 months old persian cat? She eats it 3 times a week (cheetos) once a week for soda.

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
and
-PetStreetMall.com

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonXavier View Post
My cat loves cheetos and soda (is it counted as human food?), and every time my mom goes to grocery she has a pack of cheetos and soda for it. Is it dangerous for a 6 months old persian cat? She eats it 3 times a week (cheetos) once a week for soda.
lol Cheetos and soda probably won't kill her but isn't good for her one bit! I love me some cheetos and Jones soda/Big Red. This is why I'm fat

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm sure my dogs get there fair share of grains and wheat from the crumbs my boy throw on the floor. They see to be okay inspite of it.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, onions is one food you do not give to dogs. Very toxic.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtonXavier View Post
You should not give your cat cheetos or soda. Both are very bad for her. The soda will cause dental decay, and both are full of junk that a cat does not need and should not have.

Treat your cat with things a carnivore is meant to eat. Freeze dried chicken breast like these for example

http://www.purebites.com/products.html

Treats should never be more than 10% of a cat's total intake for the day.

Dogs also should not be given human junk food.

Cats and dogs need foods that come from meat.

Declawing: please read this first
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Newborn Pup

Pet Care Service
Have your pet treated at home by our fully qualified, experienced & always caring veterinary surgeons.
Our mobile duty vets come out to your special pet after normal practice hours and 24-hours for end-of-life home hospice care,
support and for gentle in-home euthanasia.

Thanks!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 AM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody View Post
You should not give your cat cheetos or soda. Both are very bad for her. The soda will cause dental decay, and both are full of junk that a cat does not need and should not have.

Treat your cat with things a carnivore is meant to eat. Freeze dried chicken breast like these for example

http://www.purebites.com/products.html

Treats should never be more than 10% of a cat's total intake for the day.

Dogs also should not be given human junk food.

Cats and dogs need foods that come from meat.

Thanks for the link. I never give my cat junk foods anymore, he's lovin' cat food. Although at first i had a hard time adjusting..

Top-Quality, Reliable and Fashionable
and
-PetStreetMall.com

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Newborn Pup

I have seen many people give dogs human food, but I'm not sure what the consequences of this are. I would suggest a mix of dog and human food. I don't see human food being a problem as long as it is healthy for them too, such as enough meat and veggies. Maybe try asking your vet since he/she would know exactly what your dog needs to stay healthy.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Newborn Pup

Had a golden retriever live to be 18. She got regularly cooked meals (Yeah my dad cooked for her). Beef, lasagna, all the stuff that they say is bad for us. I give my pooches the same stuff I eat. They enjoy it, and the happiness they get makes me happy. So yeah, they get people food Oh yeah, same with wolves XD Just not all the time.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Newborn Pup

I have a golden retriever and he gets some human food as treats. He LOVES carrots and cheese! And sometimes he'll get some ground beef or chicken pieces mixed in with his dry food. It's nice to spoil him every now and then cause i think it must be pretty boring to eat the same food day in day out!

Handmade Gifts to Pamper Your Furry Friends!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Gifter View Post
I have a golden retriever and he gets some human food as treats. He LOVES carrots and cheese! And sometimes he'll get some ground beef or chicken pieces mixed in with his dry food. It's nice to spoil him every now and then cause i think it must be pretty boring to eat the same food day in day out!

Yes, yes!! I agree!! Sometimes I see the enjoyment on their faces, and it touches me so much. Actually, if it wasn't good for them, I would still do it, because they enjoy it so much.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Newborn Pup

I think too many of us have bought into the whole kibble thing - most of which is FAR worse than any "human" food could ever be. As far as I am concerned, if you are feeding your dog, lean meat/fish, fresh veggies... how could you be going wrong?

Tags
healthy pet food