Dogs with SAS? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Dogs with SAS?

Hi! Just wondered if anyone here has or ever had or even knew someone whose dog had SAS? It is where a value in the heart is too small. My Mandy has it. Would like to talk to someone in same situation.(although I wish no one else was in same situation)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

My chewy doesn't have it as far as I know, but his breed is prone to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chrisanne, Thank goodness your Chewy doesn't have it! Yes Newfie's get it and Goldens. At least that's the main breeds Oh.St.U. researches. We had Mandy there twice. A vet in Cleveland told us we'd be lucky is Mandy lived one year.OSU told us hope for three years. Mandy just turned three 5/31. She takes medication and we restrict her activity Not easy when you have a hyper dog just one year older than her. But we cherish everyday with her.I hope no one thinks I came here to whine about Mandy, I really would like to talk to someone about it ,but then I guess I hope I no else's dog has it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ok, don't know how I got the red face on my last post and what's worse I don't know how to get it off HaHaHa!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I think the mods could help you fix it.

I don't think anyone thinks you came here to whine. Everyone needs to vent.

Chewy's parents were SAS screened and he was given a puppy exam which included a Sas screening. He is 7 months and shows no signs, so i am thinking that is a positive thing.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chrisanne, I'm pretty sure if your pup was screened and is 7 months old you're safe. Pups are born with it and Mandy's is so bad you can hear it if you lay your head on her.Our vet found it when she was 4 months old.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I'm so sorry to hear that about your Mandy.

I admire people who have dogs with a special condition. I honestly don't know if I could handle the constant worry or fear that just one small thing could make everything go pear shaped. Even now I'm dealing with that aversion to dogs with special needs. I was going to get a sheltie puppy, but the one I had originally picked out came down with some immunity disease (I don't know the name of it in English--only the Finnish name) so I am at a bit of a crossroads as to what to do.

Nevertheless, I do admire you. It takes someone with a lot of love and courage to raise a dog that takes a different, special kind of care.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...I'm so sorry to hear about Mandy, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things with her. Big hugs to you and yours.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

pihlaja I'm so glad you replied to my post.I read yours earlier and being new here wasn't sure about replying to such a sensitive subject. My heart goes out to you. We didn't know about Mandy's condition until like I said earlier,she was four months old. No turning back then! And yes one small 'spell' and she could be gone.She has had many spells, some not so bad, some we thought she was gone.It has totally changed our lives and those of our other pets(Mandy is the baby)I've stop saying 'just one more birthday, one more Christmas, because she has alreadly lived longer than we expected, I'll take every day I can get. Can you believe, when we found out there were people who actually said don't you wish she would just die before you get more attached to her?
Sorry to be so long winded. I don't know what I would do in your situation,being that you don't have the pup yet but I'm sure you already love her.My thoughts will be with you. Anytime you want to talk look me up.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Chinchilla_Girl Thanks so much for your thoughts.I see you have a Mandie too! I take it that's your dogs name not yours or did I screw up? lol I like the way you spell it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

Gotta ask.. what's SAS? It's ringing a bell but I just can't remember what it is.

Anyone?

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

HAHAHA I'm such an idiot! You said that right up there! lol Ok ignore me... that's what I get for skimming through posts!!!

Sorry to hear about Mandy... I don't know any dogs with it but I do know that my Sandy will most likely get a heart condition (mvd, mitral valve disease, where one of the valves doesn't close properly or something) some time in his life. Not fun. But it kind of comes with the breed, unfortunately. He's totally worth it though!

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
Can you believe, when we found out there were people who actually said don't you wish she would just die before you get more attached to her?
That's horrible for someone to say something like that.

That's just as bad as someone telling me I should put my 16-year-old Yorkshire Terrier to sleep just because he's old! The dog gets around perfectly fine! Now, he has one eye (because he was attacked by a boxer-mix when he was 7) and due to that he cannot smell or taste anything and he has some slight arthritis in his joints, but other than those things, he is fine. He eats, gets around, and clearly is not ready to go.

Some people think it's okay to put a dog down if it shows the slightest sign of a problem, but if you applied the same thing to CHILDREN (babies being born with diseases, etc.), the same people would be appalled that you could think such things.

I don't look at animals as people, I look at people as animals. And for the most part, I think what you apply to your dog or cat, you should apply to your child and others.

But that's me, and I've gone off topic.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hi SandysMom and thanks for your kindness. Your pup is really cute ,hopefully you'll not have any problems with his heart.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

pihlaja Yes people can be cruel about animals,especially non animal people. Poor Mandy went from wherever she came from(?)to a dumpster with her littermates to the shelter and then to me.I would say she's got it pretty good now with us spoiling her rotten