Dory is gone! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Dory is gone!

I am so upset! I found out yesterday that I dog I was going to adopt this Friday has been adopted. I would normally be happy that a dog has been adopted, but the people she's been adopted to are horrible! In the past 6 months they've had 3 dogs, two of which they brought to the very same shelter that adopted Dory out to them. The other they took back to the vet where they got her. These people have outright told me that they almost had a dog that died because they forgot to feed it. They've also told various other people thing like the guy is getting ready to go to jail b/c he can't pay his bills and that the dogs are crated for at least 18 hours a day with no food or water. They've also refused to buy medication when their dogs have been sick. That's when they seem to bring them back. I hope they bring her back... It's horrible that she (ad others) has to go through that. Poor Dory!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM

That's a bit strange.
When adopting a pet out here the person/family has to go through an interigation, you even have to provide references, and they ask you questions about everything, some even check out your home before they allow you to take the animal.
Sounds like this shelter your talking about needs some better policies.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 PM

That sucks! The shelter I used to work for has horrible policies as well. The people running it don't have a clue (they only care about getting the animals out the door) and when someone comes and tries to change it for the better, they resist and drive the people away. Sadly, this shelter has a lot of returns because they don't bother finding the right home from the start.

Anyway - I really hope they treat her well and give her a good life. If they can't, then they need to return her. The shelter needs to put a family like this on a do not adopt list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Curmudgeon

What's up with the shelter adopting an animal out to these folks?

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

at our local aspca the only dog they ask questions over is the Pitt bulls...all the others thet never ever ask anything...its so sad

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:09 PM

around here, the main question is if you rent or own your home because if you rent you have to have the landlords permission. Indiana takes your word for it, but Clarion Co. actually called my landlord before I was allowed to get Millie. Then you have to leave all your info, but they never call and check on the animals.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I emailed the shelter administrator and told her of my concerns. This is the email that I sent.

Hi,

I am emailing you in concern for a pet that you have recently
adopted out, a beagle/basset mix named Sugar Plum AKA Dory AKA Freckles. She was adopted out by Sheila at the Petsmart on Outer Loop Road this past Sunday. The people who adopted her are in Petsmart all the time, and what we've learned about them over the past 6 months has virtually everyone worried about Sugar Plum's welfare. Firstly, they've brought two dogs back to your shelter and one dog back to Banfield in the past 6 months. The guy has also told me rightout that they had a dog that almost died because they forgot to feed and water it for a few days and for that reason his daughter wasn't allowed to get another dog because they dont' have the time for it. They told me that three days before they
adopted Sugar Plum. He told the vet techs at Banfield that he was
getting ready to go to jail because he can't pay his bills. Can he afford to take care of Sugar Plum if she gets sick, or can he even afford to feed her? The vet techs also told me that he refused to pay for medicine for his first two dogs, Suzy and Joey, when Suzy had an UTI and Joey had horrible ear infections. I was also told that he's said that his dogs (this is when he had Suzy and Joey) are crated 18 hours at least a day because they aren't home. His application has also been declined before because he doesn't have a fenced in yard. It's my understanding that he still doesn't have one, so why is now different? To further your understanding on the type of people they are (this is on the dad though) the father gave his daughter to the state because she didn't get along with his new girlfriend. He only got her back when the gf dumped him. In my opinion, these are a couple of the worst people that come into
Petsmart who could've gotten her.

I'm assuming this email is going to Barb b/c of the email address,
but if it somehow gets sent to Sheila or Sheila gets to read this, I
want her to understand I'm by no means trying to back her in a corner with this or get her in trouble or anything like that. I really like Sheila and I know she regards the animals at the shelter as her own kids. I'm just wondering what the thought process was behind her adopting Sugar Plum out to these people.

I know I can't tell you what to do, but I'd like to suggest that
you make a home inspection to make sure Sugar Plum is okay and that everything is okay. Also, if they bring her back like they did their other dogs (which I hope they do if they aren't taking care of her) I'd like to be called or emailed. I'll give her a home. My number is (blah blah blah). She's been adopted three times and doesn't seem to be able to get
a good home.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

This is the email I got back.

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for contacting us about Sugar Plum. We will check into the
situation. I will let you know what we find out. I have not said
anything to Sheila about this.

Barb

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 PM

Well hopefully she will really look into it. I sure hope so, for this dog any any other dog they adopt out in the future.

You have my thumbs up, for your letter, and doing something about a situation, where others would have said but not acted!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I feel like they stole my dog...lol.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Want to talk about weird.... Three days ago there were some rednecks hunting in the woods by our house. Apparently they dumped a beagle because he's been wandering around since that day. Oooh, it's an omen...lol. The next time I see him I'm going to put him in the pen we have in the back and post fliers up. If no one answers within a week, it's off to the teddy whackers for Logan, which I think is what I'm going to name him unless someone comes up with something better.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
ear infection, ear infections, vet tech