Dreams? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

Question Dreams?

I was watching Cledus sleeping earlier, and I noticed at first his little toes started to twitch. Then his lip began to qwiver, and he started to breath harder and faster. He did that for a while, then his whole paw started to move. And I noticed the muscles in his leg began to tense up. His nose started to wiggle. He is probably dreaming or something, but what kinda worried me was that his breathing increased so fast. He did that for about a minute or two then he woke up. He raised his head up, and was really still for a minute, then fell back asleep. Just wondering if anyone elses pup does this. It's probably nothing and I'm just a worry wort.
Thanks-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I once watched a bull mastiff chase something in his sleep. Dogs do indeed dream.

What you need to watch for is any seizure-like activity. Any shaking, disorientation, vomiting, or loss of bowel-control warrants a call to the vet. But it sounds like Cledus was just chasing a kitty cat.

Stephanie

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Alright, thanks Jade. He probably was just dreaming. His lips were really staring to qwiver I thought he was going to growl or something, but he never did. You think dogs do talk in their sleep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Occasionally our dog will wimper and twitch a little bit, so she must be dreaming. My daughter wakes her up because she gets louder and louder and it bugs her. Who knows what she is dreaming about!

I've Been Frosted!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

All of our doggies tend to dream its kinda strange to watch the way the react sometimes to the dream but as far as i know its normal for dogs to dream
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Proud New Mommy

Yeah, my Pit bull dreams all the time... What worries me is that she used to be abused.. I think she dreams about bring abused sometimes because she cries. She used to do it more than she does now- so that's good but yeah, all my dogs have always dreamed!! (remember that belief a while ago when they said dogs dont dream?)

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

I wish I knew what he was dreaming about, that would be so cool. It was just weird to watch him. I didn't think it was a seizure, but his breathing was so rapid all of a sudden. I'm glad it wasen't. **thinks to herself, i wonder if he got what he was chasing?**

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Talking

my dogs do this all the time. as long as you can stop it by waking them up, its probably not a seizure. my yorkie will bark in her sleep sometimes and it's so cute! of course chaquita starts barking then and then penny wakes up and barks with her for 5 minutes. and all because penny barked in her sleep. haha!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My Golden is the most active dreamer! He huffs, snorts, whines and growls, his feet twitch as if he is running in his sleep... it's sometimes sad when he cries! Sometimes I'll wake him up and love on him just to reassure him I don't know if I should do that, but I can't help it!

Puppies under one year old - I read that when a puppy is twitching and vocalizing during sleep it actually serves a purpose! It's the brain forming neurologic connections. It's growth process that we can see! I thought that was a facinating read.

Max is 7 months old now and seems to be outgrowing it. When he was tiny- wow - he'd scare me sometimes because it was so seizure-like! He'd twitch all over, his paws would twitch - it was scary and disconcerting. He was checked out fully so I know it wasn't seizure activity.... and I was relieved to find out that all that sleep activity was actually serving a purpose!

[center]

[
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 06:06 AM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Both of my doggies dream like crazy - I don't like to wake them up though ... I did Blackie one time and all I saw was a bunch of teeth comin' at me.
Blackie used to sleep under the bed, until one night when he woke us up huffing and whimpering in his sleep. Greg put a stop to that. When Dutchy wakes up from a dream, he won't move a bit for at least half a minute - even if you call him. He'll just move his eyes looking around.

I want so bad to KNOW what they're dreams are like !!

Sharon
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I always imagine that Jack is dreaming about the "evil deer" that trek through our yard every day. If he sees them out the window he goes berzerk!!
When he's growling and his paws are running in his sleep I always think he's chasing the "evil deer.

It would be amazing to know exactly what they are dreaming about.

[center]

[
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 05:14 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

My Bach used to dream just like Deja's Jack. It was hilarious to watch. I haven't noticed it much in Tito or Snooper tho.

~ Jodi ~

Tags
pit bull