Dry Dog Foods - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Dry Dog Foods

Buying dog food can be expensive right? It can be me sometimes. I have a larger dog, and naturally he eats more. But which of the dry dog foods is the best for him? I've heard that dog foods like pedigree and Ol'Roy aren't the best choices because of the ingriedents. I've been told that stuff like Science Diets and more meat packed foods are better. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am pretty sure Purina is a good food (but anyone correct me if I am wrong). Iams is good but pricey and same with Royal Canin. Those are teh best but they are very expensive brands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Hello Earthling

You want the first ingredient to be meat. No corn or grains.

I find that the best place to get qualitiy pet food is pet FOOD shops they usually have all the good brand that pet shops don't

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Science Diet is NOT good!!! If you go to consumeraffairs.com, and type in Science Diet, you will be overwhelmed with the complaints that after putting their cat or dog on Science Diet, their pet got seriously ill.

Purina is...okay. It definietely isn't the best.

Lately I've been doing research into the best cat foods and dog foods out there.

Google search Wellness Complete, Innova EVO, California Natural, and "Taste of the Wild".

You're looking for a food that contains no BHA/BHT/ethoxyquin, no animal by-products, no corn ingredients(corn isn't a healthy ingredient in pet food overall - especially no corn gluten!!!), no soy(there's debates if dogs can actually digest it..but the overall opinion is no, they should not), and no grains. The listed meat ingredients should overwhelm any vegetable matter listed.

Look for animal fat listed. "Animal Fat" is NOT exact enough - it needs to list "Chicken Fat" or "Turkey Fat".

Overall, the best I've found is Wellness Complete. Innova is expensive - Innova EVO(the ancestral product line to Innova) is even MORE expensive, California Naturals is an okay product - more borderline than anything else as their products don't necessarily contain enough animal protein, and Taste of the Wild I also consider to be borderline.

Companies like Eukanuba, Science Diet, Iams, Pedigree, Dad's, Meow Mix, and Purina, use either by-products, BHA, or wheat gluten. The SPCA has recently advised that, to be on the safe side, stay away from pet food products that list wheat gluten, just in case there's another out break of food recalls.

PM me if you have any questions, I have done a LOT of research into cat food, dog food, ferret food, guinea pig/rabbit food, and just recently starting research into omnivore pet products like hamster food, rat food, etc etc... I've actually begun a blog on pet foods; but I only have one post on it and I don't feel it's ready to come out into public yet. But again..PM me if you have any further questions and if this thread gets bumped down by more recent threads. ^_^

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 09-24-2009 at 07:29 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Newborn Pup

we have a new puppy, we feed him on a mixture of prunar and james beloved puppy dry food because the j.b is on the expencive side the the other stuff makes it go a bit further. sorry about the spelling

any animal will bite if mistreated or provocted , my chair is just my transport, i have a voice of my own
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've never heard of Purina or James. Are you in the UK or something? They don't sound like any brands in the U.S...unless you mean Purina?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

purina is sold in the us, its at walmart and target and many other stores.

I found a dog food that is really really good. It is Diamond pet foods It has no corn or wheat it's first ingredient is meat I have the small breed puppy right now for my dog but they have large breed as well. http://www.diamondpet.com/products/dogs/ I get it at a tractor supply company store it has a list of where it is sold online. It is simi expensive but really looks like good food.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I found out that big chain stores like petsmart make companies pay lots of money to get their pet foods into the stores so many really good companies do not go to these stores they put their foods in other stores like manards, farm companies and so forth that do not have these high prices to place their foods on shelves. Many don't agree with selling animals like dogs, cats, small animals and things at these chain stores and boycot them for their products as well.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Sorry, that was a typo on my end. I meant to say I never heard or PRUNAR, but wondered if maybe they meant Purina.

You're right, Kendalle, big chain pet stores you do not carry the good foods.

That Diamond food is okay, but it's just okay. It contains grains(dog food shouldn't contain grains), and it contains white rice, (brown rice is MUCH better than white rice - white rice contains too much starch). That food also contains oatmeal and "egg product". Egg is fine in pet food, but it should be named, for example, "Whole Egg" not just egg product - the part of the egg used should be named.

AAFCO: Feeding oat meal is obtained in the manufacture of rolled oat groats or rolled oats and consists of broken oat groats, oat groat chips, and floury portions of the oat groats, with only such quantity of finely ground oat hulls as is unavoidable in the usual process of commericial milling.
A food-grade fractionated grain, byproduct from human food processing, that is not as nutritionally valuable as the product obtained from whole oats.

Here, this link will help.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients

Here's the summary of some of the bad ingredients Diamond foods uses and why they're bad:

Fish Meal

AAFCO: The clean, rendered, dried ground tissue of undecomposed whole fish or fish cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oil.

Like with all other animal sources, if a type isn't specified, you never know what type or quality of fish is used.

According to US Coast Guard regulations, all fish meal not destined for human consumption must be conserved with Ethoxyquin (unless the manufacturer has a special permit). This preservative is banned from use in foods for human consumption except for the use of very small quantities as a color preservative for spices. So unless the manufacturer either presents a permit or states "human grade" fish or fish meal is used, you can be pretty sure Ethoxyquin is present in the food even if it is not listed.

Why Ethoxyquin is bad:
6-ethoxy-1,2-dihydro-2,2,4-trimethylquinoline. Antioxidant; also a post-harvest dip to prevent scald on apples and pears.

Originally developed by Monsanto as a stabilizer for rubber, Ethoxyquin has also been used as a pesticide for fruit and a color preservative for spices, and later for animal feed. The original FDA permit for use as stabilizer in animal feed limited use to two years and did not include pet food, but it falls under the same legal category. It has never been proven to be safe for the lifespan of a companion animal.It has been linked to thyroid, kidney, reproductive and immune related illnesses as well as cancer, but so far no conclusive, reliable research results either for the safety of this product or against it have not been obtained. Monsanto conducted research years ago, but results were so inconclusive due to unprofessional conduct and documentation that the FDA demanded another study. There are currently several studies underway to determine whether Ethoxyquin is safe or not, and until those studies are completed, pet food suppliers may continue to use Ethoxyquin. This is how things stand after about 6 years, and no new details have emerged so far.

It's better than most brands like Iams, Purina, Eukanuba, Fancy Feast, Dad's Meow Mix, Science Diet... but it does have a concerning ingredient - mainly the Fish Meal, as fish meal contains ethoxyquin, and ethoxyquin is too dangerous a preservative, in my opinion, to risk letting our pets consume.

Again, in my opinion, the best dog/cat foods on the market are:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp

An okay dog brand, I think, would be this one:

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com...anine_formula/

But because Diamond contains grains, and beyond that, doesn't contain enough meat ingredients(dog and cat food should be comprised of WAY more meat ingredients that vegetables, or grains, or anything else). Diamond foods seem to have their meat ingredients and grain ingredients right on par with each other, 50/50, and to me, who's done the research, that just doesn't make it a good brand of food for dogs or cats. :/

EDIT: There is also this concern over Diamond pet foods:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10771943/

"COLUMBIA, S.C. - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond Pet Foods."

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...TEN%29&pet=Dog

Honestly? At all costs, I would stay away from a food who previously had its products recalled - I don't care how much they may have "changed" - I'm not willing to put my pets' health at risk...

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 09-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the food i use has brown rice not white. The general puppy forumla doesn't look that great, it has chicken biproduct has the first ingredient also has corn but it is a lot cheaper as well it is their lesser food.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It doesn't bother you that they had one of their products, and one of their products to their product line(Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul), recalled though?

That bothers me - I don't trust a company that has had their products recalled and still have their products out on the market.

That's like..Kaytee small animal foods. Where, on one side of spectrum have seeds and nuts thrown into their rabbit and guinea pig products(things NEITHER rabbits or guinea pigs should be eating) and on the other side of the spectrum they manufacture food that is just plain pellet(which is what rabbits and guinea pigs should be given), HOWEVER discounting the fact they manufacture plain pellets, they preserve their products with Ethoxyquin, which is that dangerous preservative.

For me, a pet food company should only have good products that can't be analyzed down into bad, bad, food due to the ingredients. I mean obviously, it's up to you, and I respect that, and please note I respect YOU for knowing corn, and soy are bad ingredients in dog food. It's just...personally, I wouldn't trust Diamond pet foods no matter what. :/
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

wellness has less protein than diamond and contains oatmeal as third ingredient

it is hard to determine what is good and what isn't

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I actually did not know their was recalls with diamond pet foods, and yes it bothers me, yet many human foods have been recalled as well, spinach, and peanut butter were just a few from last year. It's not good that it happened but things do happen, fisher price has recalled things, polly pocket was recalled, baby car seats were recalled a year or two ago... good year tires had issues before as well... It is hard for consumers to trust things.

That was also in 2006

[/CENTER]

Last edited by Kendalle; 09-26-2009 at 05:25 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

I used to feed my dogs a RAW meat and bone diet. It was very cheap since my husband is a butcher, so my dogs pretty well got fed for free. it is suppose to be the best thing you can feed your dog. I personally do not like meat, and i had a really hard time messing with it. and I do not agree now that raw meat is best for your dog. I think i was just caught up in the hype at that moment. thats what everyone else was doing.

Then I fed a dog food that was grain free, no by products, all human grade ingredants. a 30 lb bag was $60 dollars. I had to stop feeding it because i could no longer offord it. Again, I was feed this food mainly because someone told me it was best. And now I even disagree with that.

I started thinking for myself, doing my research and I found out what is best for my dogs. My dogs eat Iams. They have never looked and felt so good!
I recommend Iams healthy naturals. and this is coming from someone who used to buy into they raw hype, and then the natural holistic human grade grain free dog food hype.

I personally would stay away from any food that does not have meat as the first ingredient. I would also stay away from animal digest, meat and bone meal, and gluetens of any kind.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Newborn Pup

yeh i mean prunia my copying skills are`nt up to much, sorry. the jameswellbeloved isa very good and well known make here in england but it is on the expencive side

any animal will bite if mistreated or provocted , my chair is just my transport, i have a voice of my own

Tags
dog food, dry dog food