Dying a cream pomeranian - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dying a cream pomeranian

Im thinking about dying my dogs fur im thinking pink may be easiest because he already has some of the orangish tint. anyone have any ideas on colors? or what I could use? Only thing Ive been told was diluted non toxic food coloring that is a little darker then the color i want but how long will it take to wash out? I know it stains hands for a while

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I suggest just being happy with your dog as is.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Why would you want to dye your dogs fur? They are pets not a fashion accessory!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know exactly what he is and I have no problem with the idea of dying his fur. It won't hurt him, and it will wash out. So why not? We modify animals all the time but usually it's in a more permanent way like gene mutations to get specific patterns and such.

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He is alot lighter since he is clean

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

I can promise you it both can and will hurt him, if not now, then in the long run!
We may modifie pets, but luckily a lot of the modifieng is illegal in a lot of countries.
One thing is to put cloths on your animal, that dosen't hurt it, or trimm the hair. But it's a real problem when you begin to dye hair og cut off bodyparts just so the animal will get a look you like.
No matter what colour you get your hands on, it has never been made for the purpose of getting in contact with skin, for a long period of time. I would never risk the healt of my animals, just for some funny look.

If you really want something pink, dye your own hair!
It can only hurt you, and you can choose this, but your dog can't...

Oh yeah - and you can't compare selective breeding to this kind of modyfication. Most good breeders know a whole lot about the healt and genetics, before breeding specific types of mutations.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 05-13-2009 at 09:01 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am not sure why you would want to dye his hair, but I really do hope that you don't, hes such a beautiful little guy...I think dogs fur coats are so beautiful, changing them is just so not cool...but if you do go through with it I do hope for his sake its all ok

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

oh yeah my hair has been pink, and blue so whats wrong with even finding a groomer that would dye using specialized dye. and fur does grow back, so why is everyone so against it?

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Because it's not fair to the dog. You have the choice to dye your hair whatever color you want. Your dog doesn't have that decision. He depends on you for food, shelter, warmth, etc. For you to dye his fur, which is potentially dangerous, is irresponsible. Other things, cutting fur, aren't permanent are are usually for the dogs health, to prevent matting and keep dogs from over heating in the winter. Personally I think putting tiny t-shirts on dogs are silly too, dogs don't need clothes for a reason, they are dogs and not accessories.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

since when is fur dying permanent?
andas for clothes normally I have something on my chihuahua wether it be a tshirt and skirt, dress, snowsuit, shoes, jacket, hoodie, scarfs, she always has her nails painted and on occasion wears jewelry. Without her clothes in the cold if her feet touch the snow she will scream and refuse to move. Both my shih tzus get jackets in the winter and raincoats in the rain and my pomeranian gets dressed up when its wet outside. but none the less I am going to try soaking chalk in warm water and rubbing it on his fur and then sticking it with a little bit of hairspray (advised from a groomer) if that doesnt work i will try gel food coloring, in a gallon of water mixed with 1/3 cup vineger. so you dont beleive that a hairless or thin coated breed (chihuahua, italian grey hound, whippet) dont need clothes they weren't bred to live in certain conditions same go for spitz type dogs they were ment to live in the cold not where ever we put them

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

here are a couple pictures off of a breeder website and quite personally I think they are adorable especially the multi colored Schnauzers

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM

A coat in the winter for a small or thin coated dog or a Hunting Jacket for a hunting dog are different. Those are to protect the dogs from the elements. A shirt that says 'B****es love me' are ridiculous and not to mention degrading.

As for the hair dye, it is permanent is some way, chalk, food coloring, bleach, and at home do-it-yourself dyes can have a numerous chemical reactions with his fur or your puppy's skin. What if he's allergic to something and you don't know about it? You could seriously harm him by experimenting with dyeing his fur pink. Why do you even want to dye a male dogs fur pink in the first place? Is he not cute enough already?

As for the pictures I think it's cruel to make a dog wander around in public looking like that.

Last edited by RenishaS; 05-13-2009 at 02:57 PM.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

To be honest, I think of the whole colouring thing as a kind of cruilty. People who do this, do not care about their dogs helth!
I dye my hair purple, but I know the riscs. I might get allergic to it, no matter how safe it is. And this specific thing I get dyed with, is one of the safest products on the market. But still some people are allergic to it..

Painting toenails?
It's a living thing, not some doll...
Jewlery - I guess it's okay. I think it's just as silly as dressing up an animal for no reason (RenishaS pointed out the only good reason). But if we are talking about earrings and stuff, I consider it cruelty, and luckily it's cruilty by law over here.

If you don't like your animal as it is, why not get a different one, or some toy?
It's living creatures, and by taking them in, you promice them to take care of them, for the rest of their lives, and make sure that no harm will ever come to them.
It's just like a child. Would you ever colour your little childs hair?

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

how is that degrading for a dog? thats why you do a test patch first on a part of his fur that doesnt show much, and as for the reason to dye him pink why not, it would be something fun and different. Would you prefer me to say "ehh im bored with this dogs fur might as well just put it to sleep or put it in a shelter and get another one until i get sick of that one" How is having them walk around like that cruel? other dogs gunna look down on them? dont think so since their color blind. They would be something to break up your day and remember. just imagine a therapy dog colored and how many smiles that would bring to peoples face. I think my pomeranian is adorable but why not change the color? and AGAIN it isnt like the dyes are permanent it DOES GROW BACK. and even if it doesnt grow fast all the dyes are made to wash out after a couple baths. so what harm is it doing, really you arent going to convince me that it's horrible. I'll post pics as soon as it's done and if you don't like it there is no need to reply

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

what am i not caring for them by dressing them up and spending time with them? even my cat gets dressed up occassionally and so hmm let me think bout that give up my animals and get different ones most people strive to keep animals out of shelters not throw tons more in just because they wanted something different. Not earrings its more necklaces and bracelets. She doesnt mind her nails being done she has dresses for different occassions and her nails match her clothes. Depends how young of a child? 7 or 8 probably would I have no problem with that either. probably not a permanent die just either spray on or semi. your contradicting yourself a little saying get rid of them and then saying we take them in to take care of them forever. I would never dump my animals at an animal shelter or the side of the road they are my babies and they are all well taken care of. Im not hurting them at all by dressing them up and painting their nails. whats a little more colors

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1

Tags
dying fur, pomeranian