Ear cleaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ear cleaning

I noticed Indys ears are a bit black inside. Olles are fine.
The cats have a bit dirty as well.
I saw this ear cleaning solution in the pet shop. Is this good to use or does anyone have any other suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can buy ear wripes for cats and dogs or just use a tissue, but you want to make sure its wax that is just the problem if after being cleaned it reoccurs frequently then it might be something that needs looking at by a vet or at least looking into as might not be anough air getting down there? Is Indy's breed one which needs hair plucking out of the ears? As that could be a reason why they have gotten black as not enough air is getting down there!?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 04-25-2005 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

He does not have much hair in here no but he is scratching his ear a lot.
Can you wipe right down in his ear

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I just use cotton balls and a little ear cleaning solution from the pet store to clean both my cats' and dogs' ears.

If the black stuff keeps reoccuring and he's scratching at his ears, this COULD be mites. If he's scratching at them a lot, I would suggest taking him to the vet so they can check it out and give you a solution that will kill the mites.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have only just seen his ears be dirty so I will try cleaning them 1st.
What do mites look like? Black spiders?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You can't really see mites as they are minute but the ears normally get black very quickly, the dog will scratch at them a lot as they will be itchy and they normally smell a little in which case you will need some ear drops to clear them up. I would try cleaning them first see if it helps if it keeps on reoccuring then i'd get him checked out by a vet

Kirsty

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

yep gonna buy them ear cleaning drops from the vets.
Do I just pour it in or would I have to do anything else?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You normally have to put in about two or three drops in the infected ear and then rub the ear to make sure they go right in

Kirsty

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Mites look like dirt in the ear. When you get them under a microscope, however, they're some ugly little creatures.

As far as CLEANING goes, I add the cleaning solution to the cotton ball and gently wipe the inside of the dog's ear. But, each cleaning solution is different (some, like Amethystbelle described, you just just a few drops in the ear) so read the instructions. Also with mite killing solutions, you use the same method Amethystbelle described--few drops in the ear and then gently rubbing.

Keep us posted on poor little Indy's ears!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Part of the Pack

I hope they go away faster than they are on my kitty. She's had them for over 2 months already They are going away slowly I think. I don't think her vet is that good but he has already drained me from all my money so I can't afford to take her somewhere else. He's given her more than 3 different things for mites and none has fully worked yet.
Like it's mentioned, put a few drops in the ear and rub them so everything can go into the canal. Then wipe any excess drops off and clean the dirt out. You can also clean the ears with a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol. Just watch out if they shake their heads and try not to get it in their eyes because it hurts a lot. Believe me...I've been there.

My babies...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_simb
I hope they go away faster than they are on my kitty. She's had them for over 2 months already They are going away slowly I think. I don't think her vet is that good but he has already drained me from all my money so I can't afford to take her somewhere else. He's given her more than 3 different things for mites and none has fully worked yet.
Like it's mentioned, put a few drops in the ear and rub them so everything can go into the canal. Then wipe any excess drops off and clean the dirt out. You can also clean the ears with a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol. Just watch out if they shake their heads and try not to get it in their eyes because it hurts a lot. Believe me...I've been there.
Well I hope it is not mites just dirt.
Sorry to hear about your cat. I hate people that take your money and dont do the job proper

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Part of the Pack

Exactly...the shelter that I volunteer at does a better job at clearing them up that this vet. I have to take her today again...I should be getting ready.

My babies...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:10 PM
Removed due to federal age requirements

My dog had a problem with her ears. They had an infection and we gave her some eardrops and she was ok. Hope your pets are fine!

Tags
pet shop, pet store