Ein is facing potential surgery
My poor boy could use some major hugs and prayers.
Friday morning and early afternoon, he was his normal playful self. We got home late Friday evening, and found that someone had thrown up in a couple of spots. Tucker has a very sensitive stomach and if he goes too long between meals, he throws up stomach acid (which is what this looked like), so we assumed that that's all it was.
Fed the dogs all a normal dinner, and didn't think anything of it until Ein threw up his dinner. He was still pooping and farting as normal, so on Saturday, I decided to give him just 1/4 of his normal breakfast. An hour later it was still down, so I fed him the rest. Not long after that it all came up, and a few hours later, he jumped up on the guest bed and threw up all the water he had just drank.
We waited until late on Saturday to attempt to give him any dinner, and all I offered him was plain white rice. He wouldn't touch it. So I offered him a favorite treat: a small bite of bread. He took it from daddy and dropped it on the floor. He also had no interest in a drink of water, even after seeing me put a drop of juice in it to entice him to drink. Lucas said, "Try giving him just one piece of his regular kibble so we know if he's just being fussy." No interest.
At 1 am, we headed to the animal emergency hospital. Turns out the doggy ER doesn't accept payment plans and wouldn't allow us to use my future fil's credit card without written faxed permission. It's 1am. There is no fax machine available and they wouldn't agree to just talk to him on the phone. So we filled out a Care Credit application and got approved for a $1000 credit line.
They took some xrays. Couldn't find a blockage, but found tons of big air pockets in Ein's intestines. Could just be because his intestines are aggrevated, but it could also be caused by a blockage that they couldn't see.
Option A: Immediate exploratory surgery to see what was going on. Ein would be in the hospital until at least Monday. $1500 to $1700
Option B: Ein gets 4-6 hours of IV fluids followed by another set of xrays to see if his intestines look any better. Then the vet would call us about what they felt needed to be done from there. $600-$700, assuming that he didn't wind up needing surgery in the end.
Option C: Fluids under the skin, take him home, bring him back if he has any more problems, but meanwhile there is no vet to monitor him if he gets suddenly worse. $300
We went with option B. They called us at 6:30am. He was acting better and the gasses had moved around some, but his intestines were still full of air pockets and they still recomended exploratory surgery, but fully admitted that they could open him up and find nothing. We opted to wait and keep the fluids going.
After talking about it, I called and left a message for the doctor to call me about bringing Ein home and monitoring him until Monday. I called to county humane society and the local chapter of the Pembroke Welsh Corgi club and left messages. The PWCC called me back at 9 and gave me the name of a vet that they knew does charity work and said that he might offer to do the surgery for less and/or on a payment plan. At 9:30, the vet called back and said that as long as we agreed to bring him back if he got worse, she felt he was stable enough to come home for monitoring and wait until we could find someone willing to do his surgery on a payment plan.
Since coming home this morning, Ein is acting so much better. We haven't seen him play, bark, smile, or wag his stub since Friday afternoon. I've fed him a tiny bit of rice and Gerber chicken a few times, and so far he has kept it all down.
I've already sent an email in to work. If/when he gets sick again, he'll be going to the first vet that I can find who is willing to put us on a payment plan. I'm hoping so much that he's going to be okay and won't need surgery to remove an obstruction. Do you mind keeping him in your thoughts?