english bulldogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Flag english bulldogs

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to give me a hand, I have a 5 month old english bulldog and I was wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on what would be the best and healthiest dog food I know there are so many choices out there and I only want the best for him. I would appreciate all comments on this subject, Thanks again Keith

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
SwC
Part of the Pack

Myself, I like the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. No corn products or byproducts in this formula with lots of healthy nutrients. I feed it to my dog and the cat formula for my cats. They do have a Puppy lovers formula also.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Leo
Driving Diva

I feed Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula... I LOVE this food and I have seen great improvements in the health of my 2 older dogs since switching this summer... it has completely rejuvenated my 6 year old dogs and has given them back the energy of a puppy. Their coats are so shiny the shedding has been cut down by 50% and my sensitive stomach guy doesn't puke anymore (used to do this all the time) all 3 of my dogs have nice firm stools and overall are a ton healthier....

Another thing I like about this food is that it is always available at Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus or whatever Pet supply place you go to... I looked at the availability of other foods and some can be difficult to find which is not good... if you pick a food with limited availability and the place where you are getting it from runs out of it or stops selling it pretty much you will be SOL and will have to do a quick switch of foods which can be hard on your dogs system and a pain to clean up after.

When I was switching foods I looked at all the different options and I chose a food that has only 1 main protein source, because one that has several like chicken, beef, lamb could spell for disaster if your dog were to develop a food allergy to one of those... sticking to one protein source could make it easier for your vet to diagnose exactly what they are allergic to. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach uses Salmon as its protein source.

While I LOVE this food you need to find what is right for your dog... Considering he is an English Bulldog a breed known to have the potential of developing skin and allergy problems I would talk to your vet about what he/she thinks about switching to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Good luck with your search for the right food for your dog.. there are a lot of different options out there and one is the perfect formula for your dog.
Please post some pics of your puppy English Bulldogs are adorable.

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007

Last edited by Leo; 10-17-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Naked Dog Mom

ditto Ally, 100%. We switched to ProPlan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach because our lab/pitbull mix had bad skin/nails and a very sensitive stomach. His skin looks a million times better, he nails no longer chip when you trim them, and he doesn't get sick anymore. Our corgi's fur is also much shinier, and neither of them sheds nearly as much as they used to.

We have only had our collie for a few weeks, and her fur is growing back after being shaved due to mange, so I really can't say whether or not this food has helped her, but it sure has helped the other 2.

I love this formula and would strongly recommend it.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

I suggested the above as I have raised and breed english bulls and also a current owner of 5. This is the food I currently use over the Science diet and the Purina brands (yeck).
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Mel
Cardboard Chef

I feed my great dane Solid Gold. It is an absurdly good brand.

Really, when you are choosing a food, you want at least two of the first three ingredients to be some kind of meat, and you really don't want any corn.

Here are the ingredients in Solid Gold:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |

Its the Solid Gold Wolf Pack formula, for large & giant breed dogs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Hi! I know you asked this question a while ago,but I am English bulldog owner and my guy has tons of allergies;especially to WHEAT and CORN...I feed him Nature's Recipe.There are alot of foods out there that are just as good,just make sure they do not contain these ingredients,,HUGE ALLERGENTS!! Good Luck!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Newborn Pup

We had the same trouble with our bulldog and the only dog food that she can stomach is Nature's Recipe, however Royal Canin is another good one but it didn't work for our dog. She seems to enjoy the Natures Recipe and she is a very healthy dog with lots of energy and great muscle tone! I would recommend Nature's Recipe, bulldogs have so many allergies and I think this food did wonders for our dogs growth and development! Good Luck!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 PM

Smile Natures recipe

Hi, I am picking up my brand new English bulldog pup in a couple weeks and I just had a question about the food...you mentioned that you use natures recipe for your bully, is there a specific flavour you use? I have read that "salmon and sweet potato and pumpkin" recipe is good for bullies. Any thoughts?? Also have you come across and other brands that offer a grain free that is maybe a little less expensive that you could recommend? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Brandon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Newborn Pup

dog allergy

Hello,

This is my first day on the boards and I just want to say how great it is that people are discussing these topics. I've had problems with my bulldog when it comes to allergies, so I gave healthygoo a try. It's a formulated supplement that tastes like peanut butter. It helps boost their immune system while alleviating them from their allergies.

Veterinary Dermatologist formulated
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Newborn Pup

English bull dogs tend to gain weight easily and you want them on a lean diet with a medium fat / protein content.

subscribe to our blog at

Tags
ascorbic acid, breed dogs, chicken soup, choline chloride, dog food, folic acid, older dog, pet supplies, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, yucca schidigera extract