Epileptic seizures - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Epileptic seizures

My aunt and uncle's dog Ellie May apparently had a seizure the other night. They have taken her to the vet who believes it was epileptic. Now they are in a sort of panic mode. I don't know if they didn't ask enough questions at the vet or what but they just really don't know what to do. They've gone online and researched but I thought I would come on here to see if anyone has had any experience with this and could give some advice. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How old is the dog? Any possible exposure to toxins? Did they run bloodwork?

Epilepsy usually hits around age 2-5 years old. Some dogs will have a seizure once a year, some dogs will have one once a week. Depending on the frequency, their vet may put them on preventative meds.

We typically tell people to start a seizure journal. Record the date/time, length of seizure, length of recovery period, and what the pet did during the seizure. If a pet has more than 1 seizure in a 24 hour period, if a seizure lasts more than 5 minutes, or if it takes a pet more than 30 minutes to recover, we recommend they be seen by a vet as cluster seizures are likely, which often requires hospitalization.

Generally it's a very manageable condition, so tell them not to panic. They really should call back and discuss all this with their vet, since every vet is different in how they approach treatment.

Also remind them that an animal is not aware of what's going on during a seizure, it's not painful for them, and it's harder to watch than to experience. Them staying calm during the seizure is the best thing they can do, since pets can sense our emotions.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the information Jade. Ellie May is about 2 and a half years old so that fits the right time frame. I would assume that they did bloodwork but I honestly can't say for sure. I'll have to talk to them about it and I'll let them know what I found out. Thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Miss New Booty

Wonderful advice, Steph! I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt and uncle's dog, Katie. I was just going to ask if bloodwork had been done. I don't know much about dogs and seizures but my cat Snuggles has epilepsy, they have run full CBC's on him, too. He was about 2 when he started with them. He thankfully hasn't had them often enough to warrant medication at this time, I hope not in the future. My vet is really concerned she told me when cats/dogs have them more than 5 mins or don't snap back into things soon after, and/or more than 1 in a months time, like Steph just said. If this comes in to play, she said we would need to medicate Snuggles.

It's so very scary, I bet they were in a state of shock, I know we were when we first saw our cat have one. I hope everything is ok and keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:14 AM
Miss New Booty

Katie, any updates on your aunts dog? Hope all is ok!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't think she's had any seizures lately. She is apparently a very easily stressed dog, though. They recently left her at the vet for a week while they were out of town. They didn't want her to have a seizure while they were gone and she be out of their care. Anyway when they got home she completely crashed. According to the vet she hadn't slept the entire time she was at their place because she was so nervous. But, no more seizures, thank goodness.