Euthanasia - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Euthanasia

For those who have had a dog put down do you prefer to be there while they do it, or let the vet do it without you being there?

This month my white GSD is going to be put down. She's fought so much and at 14 it's just getting worse, but it's definitely time for her now. I had to put my Chihuahua to sleep a couple years ago and I just had to be there and I feel I'll need to do the same for my girl now. To let her die by herself would just kill me, but no one else in my family wants to be there.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 AM

I've had one dog who had to be put to sleep, but it was quite sudden and happened while I was out so she was already gone when I got home. She had Cushing's Disease and was doing fairly well but that day she took an extreme turn for the worse and my grandma rushed her to the vet but they said it was too late. My grandma stayed with her until she was gone, and I'm thankful for that. If I had the choice, I would want someone that the dog loves to be with them. I don't know if I would have the emotional courage to be able to be there but I would try.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:33 AM

If I ever have to put one of my dogs to sleep, im going to have the vet come to my house. I don't want my dogs last memory to be of the vets office. Know what I mean? I would rather them be comfortable at home. My dog Katie is terrified of the vet, I couldn't imagine her last thought if I got it done there. I know that a lot of vets will come to your house to do it. Would you consider that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

I'm sorry to hear you have to put your dog down. If my dogs were put down I wish I could be there. Being they are several states away I don't know if I could but I know my parents would stay with them until they were quietly sleeping.

The suggestion of a vet coming to your home is a good one. i know our country vet made house visits because we just got all our pets done in one day (2 horses, 2 dogs, and 3 cats... it worked well) I know she'd be willing to come out and put down our pets if we were able to schedule it.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

My dog was put down in my lap. Do I regret being right there with him til the end? No. I just warn you that it takes alot of courage to be there with your pet. I was a reck when he was gone, but I think the hardest part of all was leaving his body, I just couldn't let go of him...as long as you prepare yourself for what is going to happen, and have conversations with your vet, it is up to you to make the final decision to stay with him or not...I will never have another pet put down at a vet's office, I'm gonna find a vet to come to my house and do it...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 AM

First off, I am so very sorry you have to go through this It is so difficult either way. We have lost 2 dogs in the past year and a half and both we had to euthanize. I know you already went though it with one of your dogs but I'm going to explain everything I went though both being there and not being there.. maybe it could help someone else who has never done it before to make that decision.

First was Ally, our long haired shepherd. She was only 4 and developed hip dysplasia.. it got so bad she couldn't stand up by herself or walk on laminate flooring without her hind legs going on on her. No one in my family was strong enough to be with her while she got put to sleep so I did (ahhh I'm already starting to get teary eyed thinking back to it) It was REALLY difficult, but like you, I would have felt like crap for the rest of my life knowing she was in there dying alone. Though I'm left with memories that I still think about all the time, some not so pleasant, I think I would rather have been there than not. I got to comfort her in her final moments and she got to see a familiar face in an unfamiliar room.. it also gave me closure.

Our other dog, Spot, who was a pitbull had to get put to sleep a year ago. One day my mom called me and told me she was taking him in and didn't really give me the option to come or not. I still feel guilty for not going, though.. but I also don't have to live with some sad memories of watching him pass on. My mom did stay with him the whole time so I don't feel as bad as I could have, I personally would feel bad if he was alone. I was happy when I found out she stayed with him.. but it did take me a long time to accept he was gone since I wasn't there.

Soon we will be having to put our cat to sleep (he has kidney failure) and I am faced with the same dilemma. I've had Leo for 16 years and he was my best friend and helped me get through some tough times growing up.. I honestly don't know if I will stay with him or have to leave the room when he gets put to sleep. As difficult as I know it will be, I think I will end up staying with him. He's my baby and I don't want him to be scared.

So I guess what I would suggest is if you are emotionally strong enough I would stay with her especially if no one else is willing to. That was the situation I was put in with Ally and I don't regret it, as hard as it was. Stay strong and good luck with your decision
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 12:54 PM

I am so sorry about your pet. This is one of the hardest things in the world. My heart goes out to you.

I had to have my dog, Sasha, put down a few months ago. Being there was one of the hardest things in the world. Even the vet was crying. But I would have never forgiven myself if I hadn't been there for her. My husband and I both sat there telling her she was a good girl until she went to sleep. If it made even the slightest difference, it was worth it.

My dog Bear also died at the vet. I left him off at the vet because I didn't know how bad he was and went to work. They called and told me I needed to come back, but I didn't make it in time. I'd give anything to have been there for him so he didn't have to die alone at the vet.

I wish I'd have thought of asking the vet to come to our house for Sasha. That's a brilliant idea.

Last edited by kfielder; 05-05-2006 at 12:57 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

I am sorry you have to go through this.

I've never had a dog put to sleep yet, but I've already decided that when it is Molly's time, I will be with her. Nobody else in my family thinks they can handle that, but I would feel awful if the people she loved were not with her. I also just...want to be with her, ya know? I know it will be so hard for me and I'll be an emotional wreck, but I just feel like I have to be there with her.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm very sorry that you have to put your dog down.

I had to have a dog put to sleep and I was there with him, holding him in my arms. Even though it was hard, at least he was with someone he knew loved him very much.

I've had 2 dogs die at the vet's office. The first was my Boston Terrier who had to have major surgery after a chocolate lab attacked her unprovoked and practically ripped the back of her neck off. She made it through surgery, was doing great but died the following night.......alone and in a strange environment. It happened 11 years ago and I still get teary eyed thinking about my baby girl dying alone.

And then there's Riley. She went into cardiac arrest and died after being spayed. The only thing that makes me feel better is that she pretty much died in her sleep.

One of my co-workers had her 15 year old dog put down a couple months ago and had the vet come to her house to do it. Like another poster said, she didn't want her dog's last moments being frightened at the vet's office. I think that's a fantastic idea and I will have my vet do it that way if I ever need to have another dog put to sleep.

Do what you think is right and what you feel comfortable with.

Rhonda

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:27 AM

This is a pic of my first dog, and the only one I have had to put down so far.
I have had my first dog put to sleep at the vets office, my boyfriend who loves her as much as I did took her. I had her for almost 18 years and finally we had to do it because her breathing was really shallow and she was suffering, turned out she had esophogial cancer.
The dog saved my life when i was young and stupid and sometimes the only reason I kept myself going was because I knew brandy needed me. So if you can you should be with her, its like they are always there when we need them and I can't imagine how scared they would be, none of my dogs have ever liked the vet, god this is killing me thinking about this, good luck and try not to dwell on it, your dog wouldn't want that.

Last edited by terrylynnn9; 05-06-2006 at 03:31 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:34 AM

sorry about this...
i think it would be best for the vet to come to your house and do it with you next to him.
be strong....
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Please stay with your dog. I work at a vet office and so often people leave their dogs to be put to sleep. Sometimes they are so sick it doesn't matter but most often they are aware of what is going on. It is so sad for me to see dogs/cats searching for their owners during their last moments. I try to hold and comfort them, but I'm just a stranger.

Think of it this way...if you were dying, would your dog leave your side?

Take care.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Last year I had to put Petrie to sleep, it was so hard, but there was no way I was going to let my best friend be alone, I sat with her in my lap, wrapped in her blankie and held her and talked to her, I was a mess, but I didn't care, I was so worried about how she would be...the vet we went to had a special room, real nice setting, for the process of families saying good-bye...I am glad I was there with her, she always took care of me, we were togather since I was a kid, she lived a long happy life (she was 19) and I just couldn't let her go through this without me...

I am so sorry you are having to go through this...I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 PM

I've never had to have a dog put down where I had to make the decision to stay or leave the room. My mom put down my chow when it was her time to go and I was unable to be there (she didn't tell me until a month later and I was ticked to say the least) but she stayed with Kayjin till she was gone and for that, I'm greatful.

I work as a vet assistant and have assisted with numerous euthanasias. Those that choose to stay are always glad that they did. Those that choose to leave the room do so only because they can't handle watching their beloved pet go. In that circumstance, we as vet assistants stay with the animals talking gently, petting them, loving on them and they seem to understand it was just too hard for their owners. We tell them they are good boys/girls and that they are loved. From what I've observed they aren't stressed, or worried or even scared, they just know someone was petting them, talking gently to them and they just drift of. It's very peaceful and unless they die overnight when no one is there or something, they aren't really alone. We do care and we do cry for them too. Don't feel bad if you can't handle it, that's what we are there for, but if you think you can, you won't regret being there in their final moments
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank for the replies everyone.
Sorry about your pets too

She was put down earlier. Just buried her and such.
I stayed with her and she went in my arms.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!

Tags
boston terrier, chocolate lab, hind legs, hip dysplasia