Euthanasia - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Euthanasia

Hello
Well after 18 years of great companionship my dog is growing sicker and sicker. He has an enlarged heart and 3 tumors all resting against the lowest part of his throat. It makes him gag and couph as if something is stuck in his throat, We took him for treatment to reduce the size of the tumors and the swelling around his heart to get him some relief but that was short lived. He is now gaging most of the time and all that is left is euthanasia. My dilema is after spending the hundreds of dollars on trying to save him I have no money left for a euthanasia service.
Can anyone suggest a very inexpensive solution? I feel horrible making him suffer any more than he has to but it's not in my power to make it happen. I don't know what to do and my whole family is freaking out for his discomfort.
Please - any help or suggestions would be a great help to an already suffering family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Part of the Pack

Look up non profit groups in your area that have clinics. You may find that they can provide you with reasonable options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Adolescent Pup

Instead of going to the veterinarian...many Animal Control's or Animal shelters will do it for a much cheaper cost then a vet...and if that doesn't work, call the vet office that he got all his treatment at and talk to the clinic manager to see if you can make a payment plan or something like that. good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello Earthling

Its terrible how much some vets charge to put an animal out of their misery.

Try looking around for groups that provide reasonable rates or funding. The animal shelter may also be able to help you.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM

I empathize with T.S.

New to the forum, I have had to look into euthanizing my 9 y.o. male wienreimer/pit mix. Aprox. 2 months ago he started not accepting his milkbone after his walk. Shortly thereafter he began not accepting his purina dog chow, so we switched to a soft chewing dog food by the same maker. Feeling around his neck and throat we noticed a mass on either side. Last weekend we got him to his vet, and rite off the vet said lymphatic carcinoma. He did an aspiration to which he drew out clear fluid, and sent it off to be read. Bandit was started on tetracycline with no real result noticable. This morning the vet called and said the test showed no sign of cancer. thank my Creator, and he would like to start him on some new antibiotics this weekend. he continues to lose weight from 86 lbs. down to 62 lbs last week. He will take turkey left over from Thanksgiving, however that is running very low. Has anyone had any experience with these mass' next to your pets throat? He has also developed a tick when he sleeps. Not noticeable during waking hours. He continues to take his daily walks 2 to 3 times a day, his coat looks to be in good shape. He has had several days that he looked as if he was ready to expire, these mass' seem to travel until recently, one day they were in the front and his extra skin from weight loss was hanging very low. Yet the next day his skin around his neck tightened back up. I will go to see the vet tomorrow or Sat. and get his care plan, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience. Thanks! Shado.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm so sorry to hear that, sending hugs and vibes for you and your dog. If you can't find any animal shelters with cheaper bill, ask for your vet's sympathy for lighter mode of payment.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
dogs, euthanasia