Expensive Pet or Newspaper Puppy? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thats great advice Nicole. Thanks.

I'm just thinking, as cute as puppies are, she has pluses, being housetrained already. That's why I'm even considering it. Also, blues are so hard to find, especially in shelters, and Ben doesn't want to get one from a breeder. (That sucks) We talked about it over dinner, and he doesn't wanna pay that much off the bat. I tried to explain to him all the points you guys here at PT explained to ME, but he didn't agree. (Men...)

Ben prefers a girl I think. He'sa said it a few times, because the Great Dane he had when he was younger was a girl, and his Uncles danes Abby is a girl. My previous dog Bean was girl and he thinks a boy would be different. But... My whining about a boy was enough to make him give in and settle with the idea of having a boy. So if we ended up getting a girl, he would be so he would be happier I bet.

We also talked, and said that maybe we can get a black one instead of a Blue and get a blue later on down the road. (Not until whichever dane comes first hais passed on.)

I'm just thinking also, what if I really like this Dane, and so does Ben... Should we pass her up just because she was the first dog we took a look at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 PM

I would say also Don't Settle...what happens when you find the perfect (or near perfect) one you want? End up with 2 Huge Danes (if you can, I know someone who has 5 of them! Whew! they are like horses! ) Do you have room for 2? I would say wait until to find what you really want. It'll be worth it in the long run, but then if you see this one and you click...I don't see a problem with getting her if you REALLY feel she is the right one for you and your family. Good Luck
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Redd
I'm just thinking also, what if I really like this Dane, and so does Ben... Should we pass her up just because she was the first dog we took a look at?
No, those are good points... If you fall in love with her (if/when you go see her) then definitely think about buying her... All I'm saying is that I wouldn't settle if I were you... Even if you have to wait, if you want something different, waiting is better in the long run Good luck & keep us updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:00 AM

My advice is see her, play with her...go home and think about it for a few days, talk about it and THEN decide if she's right for you. Don't just bring her home on the spot though
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
My advice is see her, play with her...go home and think about it for a few days, talk about it and THEN decide if she's right for you. Don't just bring her home on the spot though
I totally agree
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:05 AM

I have actually had to force people to take the dogs out and play with them before they go to homes. Some people just come in and look at them and say "okay I'll take that one". I look at them and say don't you wanna play with him/her first. I usually do not adopt to people like that.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Well thats the good thing about these people whoa re getting rid of her. They want to screen the prospective owners. So it will probably be a few days before we'd take her (IF we decide upon that) so we'll have time to sit on it.

Its good IMO that they're not just selling her to anyone that walks through the door.
He did say that before we called with interest there was another woman who stopped by and was interested who told them she'd get back with them. So who knows, she might be taken already!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 04:05 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i just HAD to comment on this.

when i decided to get a yorkie i did a ton of research on the breed. i knew what i wanted. a guy in one of my classes told me that he had 3 yorkies from a friend of his who breeds. so i called her up and she said she had a boy and a girl, i said i wanted the girl...blah blah blah. well, i get penny home and she's great for about 6 months. then all of a sudden her back legs are hurting. she's limping. turns out - she had Legg Perthus. a GENETIC disease. the breeder i had talked to actually owned the male dog (the dad) and had done all the tests on it. however, the girl dog (the mom) was owned by her friend who had never bred her yorkies before. i trusted that the dad's owner would have cked all this out. i guess she didn't. she felt horrible and had the others tested and the mom's owners agreed not to breed their girl dog (it had even accidentely killed 2 of penny's siblings by sitting on them to protect them). anyways, i paid $350 for penny. that's not too much considering (see deja's post). but i ended up spending over $600 for her two hip surgeries and she still limps. i would never give penny up, but i still feel somewhat duped!!

i would research the breeders soooo much. the owner of the dad had all of the papers for both of penny's parents, but i didn't research far enough.

just my two cents.

btw - i never regret getting penny!!

Last edited by Formula86; 05-27-2004 at 04:07 AM.

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, pet quality, pet store, potty train, potty trained, puppy mill, puppy mills, reputable breeder