Expensive Pet or Newspaper Puppy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Question Expensive Pet or Newspaper Puppy?

I guess this is sorta a rant, sorta not. Its something me and Melissa talked about a few days ago.

Why is that, with as much anti-puppy mill and anti-BYB, the price to get a dog from a disputable breeder is so high? I just talked to a lady about a Blue Great dane male, and she said that the pet quality costs $1200-$1600. (The better the quality, the more expensive.) That price doesn't include the $400 deposit either.

Now I know that there are tests done that are very expensive. And that these tests guarantee the health of this new family member.

But how in the world can people expect to eventually rid the world of all BYB and puppymills when the cost to get a breeder's dog is SO pricey??

I honestly can't afford a dog of that price, as much as I wish I could. So... without supporting BYB's and mills, how do I acquire a Blue Great Dane?

All the rescues don't have the specific dog I want. Yeah, they have Great Danes, but I was hoping on bringing home my own little boy, a puppy. A blue one, which are seemingly very difficult to find. (Not to even talk about if I can afford a price tag like that.)

Any advice??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I wish I could answer that question for you.Some prices are way out there for alot of people.I could never afford a dog that expensive.
When i worked at the vets we had a client that raises great danes.He sells them for $100.00 each and they are very well cared for but I haven't seen a blue one.
I wish you lots of luck in hopes you find one in your price range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I totally feel your pain on this one... but I can also see their perspective.

High prices are not something anyone wants to deal with because it is generally what steers us towards the byb's. My motto though is "you get what you pay for".

I can assure you that even at those prices the breeders are likely not making a profit. When you figure in the cost of raising the pups, healthcare for the pg mom before the pups arrive, shots, and all the needed and appropriate testing it just about comes out even if they are lucky. Plus, the higher price does weed out the people who the breeders feel are not seriously interested.

If the pup comes from great stock, the parents have the needed testing done (thyroid is important in danes), and the breeder offers a guarantee and lifetime support then i'd pay the price. Even if I had to save up for a few years.

The byb's are going to be cheaper, but in the long run they often are not. By the time you end up eating all the vet costs for the health issues you've paid more for the puppy.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I wish you luck in your puppy search.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 12:02 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
My motto though is "you get what you pay for".

I can assure you that even at those prices the breeders are likely not making a profit. When you figure in the cost of raising the pups, healthcare for the pg mom before the pups arrive, shots, and all the needed and appropriate testing it just about comes out even if they are lucky. Plus, the higher price does weed out the people who the breeders feel are not seriously interested.

If the pup comes from great stock, the parents have the needed testing done (thyroid is important in danes), and the breeder offers a guarantee and lifetime support then i'd pay the price. Even if I had to save up for a few years.
I totally agree... I charge a pretty high price for my pups and do it for the reasons listed above. I still don't make a profit from the pups! Tests, stud service fees, healthcare for the mom, ect cost a LOT! And then healthcare for the pups for the 8 weeks that they are with me cost a lot too! You do get what you pay for. We paid $1700 for Dozer and I agree, that is a lot for a dog, but we paid what we paid for the quality of the lines he has and the health gurantee we have. It's so worth it to get a dog from a respectable breeder, as oposed to a BYB.

Last edited by Pure14K; 05-25-2004 at 12:09 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Mal...the word you were looking for is reputable breeder Not disputable

It does suck the prices of dogs...one thing though, is that if you know where you are getting your dog, unlike from a pet store, like where we got Harlie, you will know what you are getting...we learned the hard way, when Har didnt turn out to be the Boxer we wanted...but a Boxer/Pit mix...or at least thats what we think she looks like...At least you know that what you want is what you will get...ya know?

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Yup, we had to save up to buy Manto. We were willing to pay because we knew the size, coloring, temprement, etc that we wanted in a shepherd and waited until we found the *perfect* one.

Same with the birds....Toby was so expensive we actually put him on our credit card! And then his cage was $1000!

I know the prices stink and I understand your reasoning for the way you're thinking. They're also able to charge that much because the *market* can stand it. But, if you're serious, I would start a doggie fund and just put a little in every week.

~ Jodi ~

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Red face

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate the advice.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I totally agree. I paid $1,500.00 for Remy (my Yorkie) and she was sold as "pet quality" - and upon her being spayed I recieve my Limited AKC registration. It's a lot for a dog! I searched far and wide to find a good quality dog.

I understand the complaints with "back yard breeders" - random breeding just to have a litter, and not to advance, preserve and further a specific breed.

A Blue Great Dane from what I understand is pretty rare. You may be running up against some "hype". If a particular color or size within a specific breed becomes what people consider "hot" - they will really jack the prices up. I ran into this when searching for a well bred Yorkie. People were selling "Tea Cups" which btw there is no such thing - for 5 thousand dollars! Just because extra tiny dogs for some reason are "hot" right now. It's utterly rediculous and does no good to further the health and quality in the breed.

Researching the background of the line, seeing both parents (when possible) and knowing the health history of the breed line - is the best thing you can do to ensure the quality you are paying big bucks for is really there.

[center]

[
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

my wrote an articale about this very thing actually. "responsable" breeders make it so hard to get a puppy that its these breeders that are keeping puppy mills and BYBs in buisness, telling someone they cant have a puppy wont stop them from getting one, you mid as well say "sorry you cant have one from me, why dont you try that puppy mill over there?" PMs and BYBs are around because they breed what the people want, while "responsable" breeders refuse to breed what people wantn and declair that anyone who does is a BYB well no small wonder BYBs and PMs make it big while the reputable breeders have a hard time

Shayna and the crew!

gonna miss ya Honey(Sheba) glad you back home.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

while what you said may be true to an extent... you have to realize that responsible breeders are there for the life of the animal. Should you not be able to keep it they will take it back and rehome it or keep it themselves.

Its byb's and pm's that cause the animal shelters to be over run. I love the newer laws in the areas that make it illegal to breed without the proper license.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 12:08 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsncritters
"responsable" breeders make it so hard to get a puppy that its these breeders that are keeping puppy mills and BYBs in buisness, telling someone they cant have a puppy wont stop them from getting one
Totally disagree. "Us" responsible breeders don't make it hard for someone to buy a dog, we make it WORTH it. Who wants a dog that's going to have genetic problems for the rest of it's life? Sure, you can buy a $200 dog but w/i a year of the dogs life, you have vet bills upward of $2000 (or more). Now is that worth it? Nope. Save the $$$ you need to buy a dog from a responsible breeder & do it the RIGHT way.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsncritters
my wrote an articale about this very thing actually. "responsable" breeders make it so hard to get a puppy that its these breeders that are keeping puppy mills and BYBs in buisness, telling someone they cant have a puppy wont stop them from getting one, you mid as well say "sorry you cant have one from me, why dont you try that puppy mill over there?" PMs and BYBs are around because they breed what the people want, while "responsable" breeders refuse to breed what people wantn and declair that anyone who does is a BYB well no small wonder BYBs and PMs make it big while the reputable breeders have a hard time
Responsible breeders don't make it hard to get a puppy - they make it worth the wait and the upfront cost is money saved down the road. In the long run, it's the Responsible breeder that carefully selects the right home and environment for the pups and they help in matching temperaments suited to prospective owners.

Telling someone they can't have a puppy - I'm not sure what you mean by this but if a "responsible" breeder doesn't feel the environment is going to be the right one for the dogs they work so hard to breed - well, isn't that in the best interest of the puppy AND the prospective owner? Responsible breeders are looking out for everyone's best interest.

I don't understand what you mean by "Responsible breeders don't breed what the people want"... what do the people want? An impulse puppy? Today I want a pup and I want it right now? So they go to the Petstore (which supports the Puppy Mill) or the Back Yard breeder that didn't put a lot of thought into the litter they bred- and they get their puppy today. That is a perfect example of how the unscrupulous stay in business.
That's not a responsible way to get a dog and I've written on the subject too. I'm not quite sure what you mean by your statement.

Of course there are always going to be Back Yard Breeders, not all puppies that come from a Back Yard Breeders are poor quality. There are some people who do take great care in breeding their dogs, just not on a big scale. I think we can all agree that Puppy Mills should be shut down. They serve no purpose in preserving the qualities in any breed.

I don't understand how you can say that Back Yard Breeders make it big - they still incur a tremendous cost when they set out to breed their dog. I'm not saying that I'm a proponant of Back Yard Breeders - I'm just saying that I don't know where you got your information

I back Nicole on her statements... Responsible Breeders make it worth it.

[center]

[
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

I'll probably end up getting a rescue or surrendered dog. Yesterday there was a 6mnth mantle female for sale for $300. The ad said she was trained and the prospective home will need screening.

I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with getting THAT sorta dog from the paper. Its going to be the same dog when you adopt it from the shelter. I say that because it's probably got its shots and there seems to be enough care that she might be spayed already. I tried calling but no one answered.

I totally agree with the Reputable (thanks Melis) Breeders and how they "make it worth it". It just kinda stinks a big one because I'm not looking for an impulse dog. I've wanted a Great Dane for 4 years now. I've always been intrigued by the breed and I love reading about them and learning about them. Everytime I see one on the street, I HAVE to see if I am allowed to give it a pat.

I'll still have to ask Ben what he thinks, and sit down and see how long it will take to save up a little over a Grand for a healthy dog with gaurentee's.

We'll see and I'll keep you all updated in my search for a Dane.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Well, just wanted to let you guys know, I called the number for the mantle dane that someone is going to get rid of. I asked why and he said that they (he and his wife) are now working full time, and they don't have time for a dog anymore. He said that she is 7mnths not six, like the ad said, but that she is potty trained and good with kids and cats and other dogs.

I dunno about getting her, it'll really have to click, considering I really want a male amnd Ben wants a younger puppy. But we'll see what the dog is like and how she interacts with me and Ben. (Me mostly , lol.)

I made sure to ask him if there was any reason as far as bad habits or quirks about her that made them want to get rid of her, and he said no, just that they think she needs better owners.

Would you guys think I'm a bad person if I got this Dane from them?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Redd
I dunno about getting her, it'll really have to click, considering I really want a male amnd Ben wants a younger puppy. But we'll see what the dog is like and how she interacts with me and Ben. (Me mostly , lol.)
My advice would be to wait until you find what you want. Not what's available now. You want a male & ben wants a younger pup. Don't settle! I've seen far too many people get a dog because 'they can right now' and end up miserable a little while afterwards...

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, pet quality, pet store, potty train, potty trained, puppy mill, puppy mills, reputable breeder