Eye Problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Eye Problem

My dog (Link) has red eyes and his eyes are watery and leaking green. I've been cleaning it off every so often. It was like that yesterday and it's like that again today. Today he's been scratching at his eyes and I don't want him causing more problems. Any ideas on what to do? My mom said maybe it's allergies and if it is what can be done for it?

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

You could take him to the vet and see if there is some sort of eye drops or something ... sorry.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Leaking green watery stuff sounds like an infection to me. He needs to see a vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

It does sound like an infection to me too. I would go see a vet immediately! YOu don't want it to get worse and damage your dog's eyes.

If it is allergies, you can give benedryl, but I don't know the dose size for your dog. I would ask the vet about that also. And a benedryl will make your dog sleepy but it worked for taking away my former GSD's allergy symptoms. (we only gave it to him occasionally though because it would make him sleepy!)

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Definitely call the vet. Ulcers can develop from a minor scratch and once that infection sets in, it's hard to treat. They can even lose their sight or the eye itself, it isn't something you want to wait on.

Stephanie

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It definitely sounds as though your dog could have an eye infection....I would take Link to your vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment. It is not uncommon to have watery eyes and goo drainage from allergies, however it is more common to see such a drainage with an infection.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks everyone. Now I'm really worried. His eye has gotten worse with the redness. My vet closes today before I could get there and my mom wants to wait another day. grrr. Some lady at work told my mom that dogs rarely get eye infections and that we should put some eyedrops (human eye drops) in his eyes. Anyone know if that's okay?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The only thing safe to use is straight saline or artificial tears. Using Visine, contact solution, or anything like that could be harmful.

I REALLY would recommend you have him seen. Gumbo nearly lost his sight due to eye ulcers. We also saw an 11 week old puppy a few weeks ago that did indeed lose his entire eye for the same reason. It isn't something you want to let go.

Stephanie

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you! I'm going e-mail that to my mom. My mom tries to tell me this lady knows what she's talking about because she has no kids and lives for animals. I'm going to see if she can get off work early to take him in. I think the vet closes at 6 today but I'm going to give them a call and make sure I'm right.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He's going to the vet today at 6pm. It's a vet I've never been to that I've seen recommended a lot, so hopefully he's good. I got so scared ... his eye was like rolled back and all I could see what red. He's scratched at them and tried rubbing them on things. I really hope nothing too serious is wrong.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:16 AM
Playful Pup

Oh, poor baby!! What did the vet say?? I hope it's nothing serious. Daisy sends puppy kisses to make it better.

Terri....AKA Chicklet

Momma to 3 fur babies
--Jazzy 2/20/1993 (breed unknown)

--Baby 4/11/03 - 9/20/04 (black lab mix)
(I love you and miss you very much!!)

--Daisy 8/31/04 (yellow lab mix)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Miss New Booty

Awww poor Link. How did the vet visit go Brittney? I hope everything is ok!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks
The vet said he doesn't think it's serious. Link started flipping out when they tried to put the stuff in his eye to see it he had any cuts or anything, haha I can't think of the name. They didn't want to stress him out so much so the vet gave us some medicine and said if it doesn't get better within 5 days or if it gets worse to bring him back. I really liked the new vet.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Playful Pup

I'm glad the vet doesn't think it's serious. Poor baby!! I hope he's feeling better soon.

Terri....AKA Chicklet

Momma to 3 fur babies
--Jazzy 2/20/1993 (breed unknown)

--Baby 4/11/03 - 9/20/04 (black lab mix)
(I love you and miss you very much!!)

--Daisy 8/31/04 (yellow lab mix)

Tags
red eyes, vet visit