False Pregnancies in Dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

False Pregnancies in Dogs

Hi everyone. I don't usually post in the dog section by I have a question about my friend Liz's dog Inga. She's a mini dappled dachsund and Liz has been trying to breed her. I believe she tried two times with a breeder's stud. The first try failed, and Liz said Inga went through a false pregnancy. Nothing happened after the second try so Liz thought that Inga wasn't pregnant. Then Inga started leaking milk and looked like she was gaining weight. Liz took her to a vet and had an ultra-sound done. The vet said it looked like she was pregnant with one puppy and the puppy would be due very shortly. Liz has kept a close eye on Inga and she even missed my bridal shower to be with her (she lives far away). Well days passed and no puppy came, so she took Inga to another vet (I'm not sure why she went to a different one) today and he says that she's not pregnant and that its a false pregnancy! I'm not extremely clear on the details but Liz said something about a possible ovarian cyst or something. She was really upset and crying and it didn't seem like the vet was very good at explaining things. I don't know about these things but I said it sounds like she shouldn't keep trying to breed Inga and that she should get her spayed. Does anyone here know anything about false pregnancies, and does this whole thing sound normal to you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

False pregnancies are quite common. I wouldn't say i'd spay her over that. If there is a cyst then yes i'd spay her.

She needs to go to a good vet that will explain things to her so she can better understand them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
False pregnancies are quite common. I wouldn't say i'd spay her over that. If there is a cyst then yes i'd spay her.

She needs to go to a good vet that will explain things to her so she can better understand them
I'm going to talk to her a little later about it and see if I can get more details about the cyst thing. I know that Inga is her baby so she will definitely take her to a good vet. I'm just worried because the whole thing sounds so strange to me. Inga looks and acts like she's pregnant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Yeah they do that. They go through all the motions right up to labor pains. Poor babies.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Newborn Pup

Poor baby! I'd deffinetly find a vet that will explain to her what is wrong. My 2 sibes went through false pregnancies, because Sarge got locked up with them (he's neutered though) when they were in heat... we try to watch them but somehow they both slipped out through the back door and got outside together.. at 6:30 in the morning :\ Then about 2 months later, Sheiba was panting, whining, gathering stuffed toys, protecting the bed, nesting etc. Then not too long after, Nali did it. It was so strange.

Good luck though! Keep us updated!

*-Sarah-*

**UPDATE** Newest addition: Ike! 2 1/2 year old Siberian Husky!

2 Cats - Marbles & Cindy; 1 Kitten - Tags
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

veggiegirl, Maybe your friend needs to find a different vet or is it possible she got so upset she 'couldn't' understand? Maybe she needs someone to tag along with her that can remain a little more calm.
My Mandy has had two false pregnancies but she was never bred.It was a sadly amusing situation for us.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Kali had a false pregnancy on her first heat cycle...freaked us out too because a golden retriever had hopped the fence at the time. She went through all the signs of weight gain, enlarged nipples, milk...the whole nine yards, but shortly after the time came that she would deliver if she had been pregnant, she returned to normal...second and third heat cycles were fine and we bred her on the 4th cycle...She had a healthy litter of 13 and was spayed just after the next heat cycle. There was never any talk of cysts though...she needs to have that checked out by the vet.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

I spent time with Inga yesterday and she's doing fine. She still has the enlarged nipples though. I'm not sure if Liz is going to try to breed her again. I'm not really into the whole breeding thing and honestly I'd be a little irritated if she put her through it again after two unsuccessful tries. But I'm a little bitter about it LOL because she missed my bridal shower over this whole thing. She had the first ultra-sound done by her dad's friend (her dad is a doctor) and he's the one that said she was pregnant. She should have had it done by a vet in the first place! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Tags
doing fine, golden retriever, heat cycle