False pregnancy in spayed dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

False pregnancy in spayed dog?

A couple years ago I picked up a beagle/boxer mix puppy off the streets and decided to keep her.. very unlike me but what can you do? So I fell in love with her. She went through one false pregnancy after her first heat.

We happened to be raising a litter of orphan kittens at the time who weren't even weaned yet, and she quickly adopted them. She constantly moved them where she thought the nest should be and kept them warm, heh. She even lactated some.

Shortly after the symptoms of the false preg/heat went away, she was spayed.

Now, two years later, she is exhibiting similar symptoms, although not as strongly. I wasn't aware spayed dogs could even have false pregs, but she's acting almost the same way she did before, only this time she's got a few choice toys she carries around since there aren't any spare orphans lying around. She has one toy in particular that she goes crazy over. When this toy is not near her, she cries incessantly to the point that I have to get up and find it just to quiet her.

She has no swelling of the stomach or teats or anything. She is spayed, like I said. She just nests on my bed and collects toys up there.

We recently lost our other two dogs. Could that be in any way connected? Could grieving trigger false pregs or something else with similar symptoms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
canis lupus familiaris

I posted about something similar before. My Luna actually goes into "heat" every now and then. If she was spayed recently, she could still have hormones lurking in her. I got to watch my first spay the other day and some dogs are more complicated than others. Leaving just the slightest tissue in there can cause dogs to have heat symptoms.

Luna is a toy hoarder. The first time it happened, she adopted three toys (a kong and two stuffed toys) and our other dog, Loki who is older than her but smaller. She wasn't defensive but seemed overly concerned when we picked up her toys (especially the squeaky toys.) What made it worse is that when the symptoms would go away, her "babies" would become toys again. So those stuffed animals had their heads ripped off in a matter of days. We thought it went away but then we saw her making a nest and hoarding some socks and her kong. She was a little upset we put her babies in the big noisy clunker thing (aka washing machine) but got over it.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
canis lupus familiaris

So no I don't think it is a false pregnancy but could be a false heat. She has em (last time she even bled) but its not so strong that it attracts strays or anything. We go for walks during her "heat" and don't don't follow or anything except for those strays that run and are curious and would follow us anyway (just for a few blocks.)

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM
canis lupus familiaris

click here to see my post
Its pretty old so just don't bump it =]

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you so much, Sheep! Your information really cleared my situation up. It makes more sense than a false pregnancy.

Maybe a little shred of tissue was left in there or something. Oh well, it seems harmless. I was just curious. I really appreciate it! ♥

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I find it cute yet poor for female dogs on their false pregnancy or heat and showing those motherly behavior.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
false, pregnancy, spayed