Feeding question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Feeding question

I have now switched my doggies over to adult food. Do most of you dog owners give feedings once a day or split it up?

Right now I am feeding them twice a day at about 8am and 5pm. If I gave it to them all in one sitting I know that they would eat all of it (Darn Pigs!) I do have to be very strict with their feeding or they will eat until they burst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:50 PM

Dena... I feed my dogs twice a day. The vets always have told me it was best for them as Large Breed Dogs are more prone to GDV. Feeding twice a day helps reduce the risk of that at least a little bit.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:14 AM

I agree, twice a day is much better. Could you imagine consuming all of your food intake for the day in one sitting?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Actually I do eat only one meal a day LOL! I know it is a very bad habit. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any new studies done. Plus I wanted to see if maybe splitting up the meals to 3 times a day was even better.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:12 AM

hmmmmmm.... that is a good question. I have never tried 3 times a day since they were puppies. Mine are totally ok with twice a day... but you could always try it and see how it goes.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

I can't remember what kind of dogs you have, Dena (sorry!). Mine are "frou frou's" and eat twice daily - and one of the Cavaliers sometimes only eats once a day (she could stand to do that for several days - she's a brick!)

If they are big dogs (or going to be!) feeding twice daily is usually fine. But another thing you might want to consider is either putting their dish up on something (or if your bank account can stand it buy one of those raised dishes). It is much better for their digestive system if they aren't standing on their heads to eat!

My friend's first Greater Swiss Mountain Dog was born with a problem in her digestive tract and always had to be fed from a bowl that was raised up - otherwise the food came right back out. And if your kids have problems, it is wiser to go to smaller, frequent feedings (you don't have anything else to do, do you?) than one or two large ones.

Okay, my 2 cents worth!!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:08 PM

I totally agree with ya Critter on the raised food dishes. I have them... but forget to metion it.

What kind of dogs do you have Dena?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

They are pit bull mixes. They are about 40 - 45 lbs each. I have been looking for a good raised food bowl but have been using a make shift one now. I stand there and wait to make sure I hear their big burbs when they are done - I am always concerned about bloat since they eat so fast that was why I was wondering if it should go to 3 feedings or more. Since they have been switched to dog food the kibble is bigger so they do chew a little slower.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:25 PM

They are absolutely adorable Dena. I just love their precious little faces.

Drs Foster and Smith has some nice ones Dena... their prices are not bad either.

www.DrsFosterSmith.com
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:26 PM

btw... the catalog has more to choose from than the web site.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:35 PM

Angry

Oh my, Dena your dogs are beautiful, such incredible faces -- I just want to kiss them..can I?

Wendy
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

They welcome any kisses from anybody but you must be prepared to be completely covered in dog slobber because they love to give kisses back. At night they like to walk around and lick bare feet. I had a trainer over the summer and the reward for the darker one was to lick the back of her knees LOL!

I just bought a new dog bed and a whole bunch of toys from Drs Foster and Smith. But I still think I am going to make my own food stand so I can paint it - it will be a lot cheeper for me to make my own since they will probably chew it up anyway
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:06 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

And you can always improvise on the raised feeder until they have reached their full growth (height-wise, anyway!) Kind of useless to have to keep buying them until they are totally grown (although they look pretty good sized right now).

I changed Sasha from puppy chow directly to diet food! I'm trying my best to keep her at 10 pounds or under. The other dogs are such cows and my (male) cat looks pregnant. The birds are the only animals we have that aren't overweight!

Critter

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Dena, you have to post pics more often - they're growing so fast!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Those are such old pics too. Their colors have changed and Baci, the darker one has developed a slight underbite and Dolce just gets cuter and cuter with her little overbite. They are definitely full grow. I would be very suprised if they got and bigger. I will try to get some picutes with their little Halloween hats on!

Tags
breed dogs, dog bed, dog food, dog owners, food bowl, food dishes, pit bull, pit bull mix