Female dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Female dogs

I have just realised that Myfanwy will be the 1st female dog I have ever had in my life.
Are they much different to boy dogs and do you have to treat them different?
I know they bleed but do they still do this after being fixed and if so when and what shall I do with it?
Any advice would be great thanx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:17 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I've only owned one male dog in my life, he was neutered but still liked to pee on everything in sight. It drove me insane so my personal preference is a feamle dog but every person is different and I'm not saying that if the perfect dog came along I'd refuse it cause it was male.
I don't think you have to treat dogs differently cause of their sex, but I think all dogs need to be treated somewhat differently to suit their personalities to get the best results out of them so when you get her just figure out her personality and work with that!
As for the bleeding, if you get her speyed at 6 months you'll miss any cycles and no she won't bleed afterwards. It's basically the human equivelant to a hystorectomy and it stops humans from getting their periods so it stops dogs from going on heat too. There are lots of myths about letting dogs have their first cycle, or a litter of pups. They are myths and if you choose to let her have one cycle it is up to you, but not necessary to improve her temperment, so don't feel bad if you don't want to deal with that and someone believes the myth. As for the one litter thing...I don't think anyone on here would say that is a good idea which gives you a pretty good idea on what to do cause I think it's safe to say everyone on here knows and cares a great deal about their pets.
I don't know if you knew about the myths but thought I'd post cause we had numerous phone calls at work getting asked those questions so there are people still believing it.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Well said Carmen.

I have had male and female dogs in my life. Females aren't really different persae. Each dog will have its individual personality regardless of sex. You definately won't have to treat her different.

The let them have one litter thing is a bunch of junk. I would totally recommend having her spayed at 6 months of age. Some vets now days like to do it earlier though.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mine are fixed and don't bleed. It's been my personal experience that females are a tad more stubborn than males ... and maybe a bit brighter, too. Males tend to be more clingy and generally most of them that I have had experience with tend to be goofballs whereas the females have tended to be a tad more independent. Like I said, this is my personal experience ... I'm not trying to reflect all dogs and what I just said is not scientific at all.

But I think the temperment of your dog is going to depend more on the breed than the gender ... and there are always exceptions to everything ...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've only ever had female dogs but everyone else in the family has had males so i've had experience with both from a young age and i have to say there is no difference really between them apart from the obvious oh and the fact males sometimes tend to not listen when called which is just typical I've found both sexes to be equally loving and faithful. Elfomatic got it spot on the temprement of any dog is down to breed, upbringing and ownership and its always open to exception even the best brought up dog can have problems of any sex!

As for the bleeding they come into heat once every six months and a season lasts around 3 weeks to a month They come into season and in the second week they start to bleed and it lasts for around 7 days (with every dog being slightly different) but its the week after that she needs to be watched as thats when shes most likely to be caught and get pregnant as she will be actively seeking other dogs and will need to be excercised on a lead etc..... to prevent her from escaping. Like everyone else has said if shes fixed at around 6 months of age you won't have to worry about her coming into heat, it might be an idea if you aren't getting Indy neutered to get her done before her first season to prevent any unwanted accidents from happening. If you don't your house will be awful to live in for 3 weeks to a month as Indy will be howling and parading around to get to her and she will be doing the same and you'll be pulling your hair out by the end of it The pro's to having her spayed are you don't have to worry about when she will be coming into season, about the mess she will create and having to watched her like a hawk, you are also avoiding the risk of phantom pregnancies and some forms of cancer etc.... The only con is it is a large operation but the recovery time is minimal and she would be back to normal within a week or so

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am having them both done I just wondered if she will still bleed after the op.
So if i get it done at 6 months she wont bleed at all?
I am a bit nervous coz she is a girl but you guys have eased my mind a bit
Cheers guys

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Once she is spayed she won't bleed at all if she does come into season before you can get her spayed then you will have to wait around 2-3 months after she has finished before you can spay her normally. But if you get her done before shes 6 months then no she will never bleed, i'd discuss it with your vet as every vet is different and some vary on the ages at which they will spay but you should be able to get her done before her first season if you wanted too

Kirsty

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

So if she starts to bleed then I will have to wait?
Will Indy be funny with her as soon as she gets here coz he is not being done till the end of June as money is tight

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If she comes into season and starts to bleed then yes you will have to wait till shes out of heat, vets normally say to wait around 6 weeks before spaying after that but you'd have to ask your vet as some vets vary the same as some vets vary with when they prefer to spay some say before the first season and some say after but before the second it all depends on what kind of vet you have got, so next time you go in just ask I'm sure Indy will be fine with her as shes only going to be a puppy when you first get her and will be very playful and she won't come into heat till she's between 6-8 months of age normally and Indy will have been definately been neutered by then so you've got a while yet

Kirsty

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh good.
i am just worried he is gonna jump on her coz he keeps doing that with the cats.
I shout NO when he does it but he keeps doing it.
he stops when I shout but then the next time they streak past him he is jumping on their backs and pinning them down

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Just another quick question...
We are leaving indy at home when we fetch her but when we get back who shall hold Indy and who shall hold Myfanwy when they 1st meet?
Indy sees maria as beneath him and me above him

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

He will probably jump on her its just down to you to stop him and teach him its wrong, he might calm down a little once he is neutered but he still needs teaching in the meantime that he can't jump on the cats and/or Myfanwy. As for the first meeting i'd let them meet in a room with neither being held that way they can sniff each other and check one another out and neither will see you as his or her property, make sure you give Indy lots of fuss when you get home and tell him he's a good boy if he behaves nicely to Myfanwy and praise any good behaviour so he knows he's not going to be pushed out and that they are equals. I'm sure they will become firm friends in no time

Kirsty

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

But some1 else said to introduce them outside...
Which would be better?
I know he is a good boy in his heart but sometimes he forgets and goes nuts.
he gets so much fuss you woud not believe it.
he is never away from me for a minute.
he sits by the bath, comes in the car with me, eats with me and he is on the floor right now.
I cant leave him in the bedroom with Maria coz he whines but if I am in the bedroom and Maria isnt he does not
i love him to bits.
I dont want him to be jealous.
I dont think he will, I think he will be too interested in playing with Myfanwy

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

introduce them somewhere we you can easily grab them just in case. You can put them on leads to help you out there but if you are at all nervous about them meeting don't hold the lead cause they'll feel your tension through it and it might cause them to act differently!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

So i will bring her in the house then 1st without leads?
AAARRRGGGHHH mixed info.
We have a huge hall shall I do it there

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy