A few question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

A few question

Hello,

I just had a few questions and I figured what better place to ask than here at PT.

To start, here is my intro thread: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44930

Maximus is now home and he's about 8 weeks old. Things have been going great, and for the most part he's settled in his new home with no problems at all. Even the first few nights he didn't cry for his mother. He does however like to be with people a lot and I guess like a human baby he likes to be picked up and fall asleep in your lap. The relationship between him and the cat also moved along very quickly and they play all the time (although the cat can sometimes be a bit rough so I always monitor their playing).

Questions:
  • Weather - the weather here has been nice for the most part, cold but mild and remaining in the positives. I held off taking him outside for the first week and a half but then I decided to try it out and he seemed to enjoy it. He knew right away to go to the bathroom outside and he does pretty good, so long as I take him out on a regular basis, which I do about each hour or so.

The weather has now gotten a bit colder. Last night it got down to -18C and -20C over night (Ontario, Canada). He gets cold pretty quick but he's good to run out, do his business as fast as possible and then run back in to get warm, and I'm with him each time. I shoveled a path in my back year so he gets a chance to run a bit. My question is, has it gotten to cold to be taking him outside at 8 weeks? Should I stick to paper training on cold days or continue going outside with him? We don't stay out more than 5 minutes and when he has to go he goes. If not, he'll run to the door to let me know he doesn't have to go and that he wants in.

He still has accidents though. Paper training didn't seem to work all that well (even though I guess it's still early to tell). I watch him closely most of the time and have picked up on his habits and can tell when he has to poop. He sniffs around a lot looking for a spot to got to the bathroom so when I see him doing this I take him outside right away. No harm, or is it too cold for an 8 week old JRT
  • Sleeping - Maximus's sleeps with me, in the bed. I tried to get him to sleep in his dog bed but he'd whine at my bed and want to sleep with me. Because he was so young and used to sleeping with his brothers,s isters and mother, I allowed him too. I was worried about rolling on him during the night but we seem to some how work around that. I put my futon mattress on the floor so he can climb up and down as he pleases, figuring this would also help with the paper training. In a way it did because I've woke up at night to see him on the paper peeing but other times he still pees on the floor. He seems to understand peeing on the paper but when it comes time to poop its whever, whenever, although he did whine at the bedroom door (which was closed ) the other day and after taking him outside he pooped. Anyway, should I be starting to train him to sleep in his crate or is there no harm with him sleeping with me? He doesn't like his dog bed for sleeping but he likes to jump in it and start digging (lol).
  • Washing - Well the female cat did try to take over as the mother a couple of times and give him a bath but he wants to play to much and starts biting at her (play wise) so she starts biting back and the washing doesn't get to far. He has peed on his paw a couple of times or peed on my bed and rolled in it before I noticed it and he just sometimes smells of pee. I've cleaned him 3 times by just filling a little bit of warm water (not even past his paws) in the bathroom sink (which I clean after I bath him) and rubbing the water over his legs, belly and back. I don't wash his face or his head. I rub a little bit of bar soap on my hands and rub it in then I rinse it off then dry him off. He comes out smelling nice and clean and his fur even looks cleaner. He gets so excited after the bath too, he runs around in search for the cat to tackle her! Anyway question being, is this bad? I was told this is bad as this soap might be bad for his skin but I don't use a lot and I (so far) haven't noticed any issues. Is it necessary to buy dog shampoo for this quick little clean?
Thats it for now, sorry the post was so long. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks.

Here are a few pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

Gosh! What a cutie!!!

About the shampoo,yes,you should buy a puppy shampoo.Bar soap is too harsh for dog skin,especially a little puppy's skin!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

what an adorable baby

I live in cali so I am probably not gonna be good at answering the is it to cold question...but when I lived in washington we had a small dog and put a sweater on it to go out and pee and all that...since it was for short times it all worked out, I have never paper trained though...with a kid who has papers everywhere I could just see that not working for me lol...

my dogs all sleep in crates at night, they have never had an accident in there as they don't want to sleep in their own mess...it has been a life saver (I have 4 dogs) when I was younger we had a poodle and my mom set her alarm for every 2 hours to take the puppy out till she learned lol...she was way more dedicated than me(but I do end up outside at 2 or so in the morning every now and again when they let me know they gotta go)

We take our dogs to the groomers most of the time, but we do buy a good puppy shampoo for the pups in between. The puppies are now 10 months old so they get groomed once a month, we brush them and all that everyday, but if they are super dirty we do give them a bath...just so hard with my big babies lol...

Your puppy is adorable good luck and have fun

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post

About the shampoo,yes,you should buy a puppy shampoo.Bar soap is too harsh for dog skin,especially a little puppy's skin!
Hey Vanilla, thanks for the reply. I'll pick some up this weekend, anything I should look out for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post

my dogs all sleep in crates at night, they have never had an accident in there as they don't want to sleep in their own mess...it has been a life saver (I have 4 dogs) when I was younger we had a poodle and my mom set her alarm for every 2 hours to take the puppy out till she learned lol...she was way more dedicated than me(but I do end up outside at 2 or so in the morning every now and again when they let me know they gotta go)
So far I've been pretty lucky. Maximus will sleep all night and wake up at around 5AM. He's started to get really good at letting me know he needs out, so that helps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
Your puppy is adorable good luck and have fun
Thank you, and thanks for the reply.

Tags
dog bed, male cat