First time with fleas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

First time with fleas

I haven't been here in quite a while, just last week our golden retriver picked up fleas somewhere, now Tag (toy poodle) has them. They are both itching the golden has an allergy to them so her reaction is worse. But I though maybe someone with experience can tell me much I should do to get rid of them. I don't want to overreact but want to be done. The golden is using a med that the vet sold to daughter (super expensive) I am using something I bought at walmart (not very expensive) it is one week until we are supposed to give them another dose on the back and they are itching bad again can we give it earlier? just want some advise from someone who has been thru it. We have avoided this for years. Just lucky I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM

I always have my dog with a flea coller or use a thing my vet gave me that you put on the back of their neck and that seemed to work well to avoid fleas and ticks. Whenever she got fleas well I'd just use shampoo or sprays and they worked but as I'm not sure what you're using I can't really help you there.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 PM

My dog had fleas once when i was younger and my mom bathed him. She was so upset because she felt like we weren't taking care of him and gave him away. We were devastated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I wouldn't reapply the walmart stuff. It is actually a poison and can be VERY toxic. (I'm assuming it's hartz or something along those lines?)

Go to www.petshed.com and pick up some revolution. The stuff is cheap and works REALLY well. You don't need a script with that site.

Dawn dish soap (the blue kind) kills fleas. Give them a bath and vacuum your house like crazy. If you have wall to wall carpeting, take ALL the stuff out of the closets and vacuum them. Vacuum under all the furniture and pretty much everywhere. You can get some pretty decent flea spray at the pet store for your furniture. Don't go for the hartz spray, go for something that is like a fogger but you just spray it directly on the furniture. It's expensive, something like $20 a can but it'll last a long time.

If you do have the chance and if there is some other place for the dogs to go you could flea bomb, but IMO they don't really take care of the problem. The best thing you can do is vacuum and change the bags every time your done. The fleas will actually crawl back through the vacuum.

I've dealt with huge flea infestations for the past 2 years. My brother likes to take care of the problem AFTER the cat gets fleas...that's a different thread..lol

Revolution is probably the best thing we have used on the cat to kill the fleas. We used frontline and that didn't even work plus it was very expensive.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I use revolution for Gunny...I need to give it to her. It works well!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
fleas for the first time